cdrw/dvd combo - does not boot up from DVDs

ChrisM

I have a Samsung cdrw/dvd combo . It reads and writes most CDs. Boots up too.

Using K3B I can also see the file structure of data DVDs such as those provided by Linux Format magazine, containing linux software.

I can't however, load and view a music video - I understand that I probably need to install some additional software. I'm happy to look at this in the near future.

However, I'm unable to boot from a bootable DVD. I've looked at the BIOS and first boot is an ATAPI CDROm drive - makes no mention of it being a combo.

Any pointers as to what/where I need to look in order to boot from DVDs. From what I recall, fstab does not mention the dvd - i'm not at my PC right now.

When I look in MCC it says it mounts: /mnt/cdrom

Edited by ChrisM

i'm not an expert on this, but MDK (or Linux, in general) has nothing to do with the drives your computer can or cannot boot from. that would a bios setting. if you looked in your bios already & saw no option to boot from a DVD drive, then chances are you can't do it. you might want to check your bios or computer manufacturer's web site to see if there's a solution or maybe a flash bios update.

Chris

Cheers Chris.

I did think it odd that my BIOS made no mention of the DVD and only referred to it as as CD.

I looked at Samsung's web site a couple weeks back and didn't really pick anything out. I'll certainly get back to it though for another in depth look.

I've done a flash upgrade once before on another box - it initially refused to boot mdk at all - now its the best performer outta the home network. So I can run with this option too.

Thanks again.