cat 6 combined with cat5?

Michel

Heya,

we may have 2 computers in the house soon, so I was thinking about cabling. We had some talk about wireless, but I want cabling in the first place ... and I actually would like a low-power-linux server :). I have never setup a network ... so here I go:

Anyway, I was thinking about isn cat 6 if it doesn't cost a lot more than cat 5e. I know that people say that cat5e will do also fine, but I suppose cat6 is better suited for the "future". Is it right that the diameter for cat 6 is max 7mm (I found it on this site: http://www.cableprodata.com/new_page_2.htm)?

Anyway, say I use cat6. I read that the network will degrade itself to the client with the lowest cat-version or something? Say I have cat 6 cabling, one user using cat5 (maybe not cat5e) and another one using cat6. Would the cat6 user also only get cat5-speeds while the cat5-user is on ? I wouldn't like this ...

I suppose I can just put cat6-wall-sockets and cat5 also can get plugged in it (I read that cat6 is backward-compatible ... but I just want to be sure).

I will be searching on the web how to setup a network and ask some advice but if anyone knows some info on the web ... it would be welcome: cutting cables, connecting cables to the wall, running cables to through the house (not bending it to much ... ? seems logical, but how much may one bend it?), ....

You probably can't saturate a gigabit network unless you use raid and maybe 2 computers (without doing anything else on a computer) ... but I'll see. If the price is ok ...

Thanks,

Michel

the diff in these cat wires are the amount of twists and wire diameter. the twists cut down in cross talk and the bigger the diameter the more signal that gets through. your router won't ever know the difference in any cable you use it's just gonna send out the same signal no matter what.

you can mix and match all day long --- and as a home user you will never physically see the speed dif between the 2 versions.