Problem installing Mdk 10.1 CE

hanez

OK I downloaded the 3 ISO's and burned them with k3b.

When I boot off the CD everything works fine then I get an error, saying that the error has to do with either a hardware fault or a bug in the linux kernel.

Next I get another error message saying that "an error occurred giving hand to second stage". It then kills the installation and reboots.

Im running a AMD 1.6 (or something like that) with mandrake 10.0 Official already installed... So its not much of an upgrade. Anyone know hwat this problem is?

Also is there an easier way to upgrade, like through urpmi?

okay, maybe some more info would be nice here. what exactly went wrong and what did you do exactly?

when updating with urpmi, (i hope you have set up the 10.1 OE mirrors correctly), it is best NOT to run urpmi from a desktop environment but from a console. you could e.g. boot into init 3 stage, thus only having the command line. there, you should log in as root and run urpmi. make sure, that you also install the newest kernel first. so run urpmi --auto --auto-select before updating the rest and reboot into the new kernel. once you are in the "new kernel", update the rest from the CLI.

hope this works...

Edited by arctic