Mounting Nightmare!!

Tymestream

:furious3: This is driving me nuts! I am trying to install UT2K and when it prompts me to mount the next cd nothing that I try works.

I try unmount from the desktop icon - no luck - device busy

I try unmount from console - no luck device busy

Everything says that device is busy but nothing is using it? I have heard some odd things about supermount could this be causing the trouble? Please help this poor soul...

I am sure all is well in fstab but here it is anyway.

/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/sda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/storage ext3 defaults 1 2
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

from your fstab, you're not using supermount on your cdrom, just your floppy. Magicdev should be handling the cdroms. If you are using kde, I don't know if kde has anything for slight control of magicdev like gnome does.

http://kernow-webhosting.com/~bvc/theme/im...gconf-media.png

I don't know if it'll help but you could try and see what's holding the drives with lsof

lsof /mnt/cdrom

From a hardware perspective, I have encountered issues with two cd devices on the same ide channel. It is not always a problem, but does happen. It makes no sense for both devices to be busy, unless the channel is busy. Can you seperate the devices onto different channels?

here's 3 things to look into...........

1. if you use KDE, see if you happen to have KSCD (KDE's default CD player) docked in the panel. there was an issued with KSCD locking the CDROM drive it's associated with to play CD's. if it's there, quit the application, then try your drive.

2. do you have FAM (File Alteration Monitor) running as a service? look in Mandrake Control Center->system->services. if it's there & running or checked to start at boot, stop it & uncheck it.

3. if those 2 ideas don't pan out, do the following from terminal as root..........

lsof /dev/hdX

where X is the device letter (like hda, hdb, etc.)

or.........

lsof /mnt/cdromX

again, where X is the number of the CDROM if it has a number (like cdrom0, cdrom1, etc.)

lsof stands for LiSt Open Files. it can be a very useful tool. if you get a "command not found" error, then you need to install it. it's on the MDK CD's. to install, in terminal as root do........

urpmi lsof

Chris

Edited by chris z

If your using mdk10 or 10.1(not sure from your sig) the device is busy; magicdev, an automounter originally designed for gnome, is running on both your cd drives. As long as magicdev is running you will always get a device busy if you try to manually unmount the drive. Here's one solution. Boot up, open a console and run:

$ killall magicdev

You will then be able to do the install by manually mounting and unmounting from the command line. When you are done, logout and log back in and magicdev will start up again.