Installation hangs no matter WHAT I do.... HELP!

Guest artaois

Guest artaois

I really hope someone can help me - I've pulled out almost all my hair over this one :)

Trying to install mdk9.0 to replace redhat 8,0 (which i'm not very happy with) - i've tried with the cds, boot floppy, network install - everything gives me the same results

I've tried disabling dma in my bios, have set pio to 0, and i've tried EVERY suggestion that i've been able to find in this forum (people have had similar problems from what I can tell, but not this exact problem...)

I have a KinetiZ 7E motherboard (VIA Apollo KT133A chipset) running an athlonxp 1800+ processor - 320mb ram - hdd0=maxtor 20gig - hdd1=ibm deskstar 80gig (both the hdd are on one ide cable - no space to do it otherwise, but they work fine that way) - plextor 24/10/40A burner and a Pioneer dvdrom on the other ide cable

When I boot the machine with the installation disk in, i get the first screen no problem, and like i said, i've tried just about every option that I can think of, but i ALWAYS get the same thing when it comes to these messages:

VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

ide: assuming 33MGz system bus speed for pio modes; override with idebus=xx

ide0:BM-DMA at 0xc008blablabla, BIOS setting: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA

ide1:BM-DMA at 0xc008blablabla, BIOS setting: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

and that's where the system hangs - the messages are always identical no matter what my bios settings are

i also tried installing suse 8.1 on this system - same results - redhat 8.0 is the only one of the "big 3" that will install on my system at all :(

help me out here - PLEASE!!!!!!! I'll give you a cookie if we can get this installed right :) :P

Guest artaois

i knew that would be the first response :)

yeah, i checked the sums, and like i said, i've also tried network install from a floppy too - same results (and again, i had the same results when trying to install suse 8.1 both from cd and from floppy) so this HAS to be a hardware problem somewhere

but i just don't get it - my hardware isn't exactly obscure.....

well you didnt say in your posts so it needed to be cleared up.

you have tried disabling the DMA from the BIOS but have you tried passing the nodma param to the the installation?

...wait, i think that was for booting problems. i guess that cookie isnt mine after all. :grin:

ciao!

Guest artaois
well you didnt say in your posts so it needed to be cleared up. 

you have tried disabling the DMA from the BIOS but have you tried passing the nodma param to the the installation?

...wait, i think that was for booting problems. i guess that cookie isnt mine after all. :grin:

ciao!

lol - and yes i have tried that - i've used the nodma param both when the dma was disabled from the bios and when it was enabled.... always the same results

I have never had a good time with two cd devices on the same ide channel. I think it is a limitation of ide. I would split the cd devices, it doesn't matter if they are slave or master, and try again. I have seen that virus called windows work with two cd devices on the same ide channel, but with weird problems popping up from time to time. Linux wants the hardware right the first time. That is what I would suggest.

Guest artaois
It may be a kernel problem since you have the same symptoms with Md 9.0 and Suse 8.1 which use kernel 2.4.19. Redhat 8.0 uses 2.4.18. Try googling along the above lines and see if others are experiencing the same problem.

been googling - but it's not easy - i keep coming up with a million sites about how to install 2.4.19 on an existing linux system - nothing about it during installation :(

i'm gonna start pulling out my hair soon :(

Easier said than done I guess. Did a quick search and found several people reporting similar problems with this MB:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=kinetiz+...orld.com&rnum=8

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=kinetiz+...ogle.com&rnum=5

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=kinetiz+...ogle.com&rnum=8

Didn't see a solution posted anywhere. I'll try to dig a little deeper tonite if I have time. Check out the above as a starting point.

try passing mem=nopentium?

just a try

also try passing noapic to the kernel.

you could try loading failsafe cmos defaults and then booting.

Try disabling one of the cd or dvd on the bios. Also ideally you should have hdd + dvd and then hdd + cdrw on the primary and secondary ide channels respectively.

Try a new bios?

See this....http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=88 (ide drivers issue 11)

After reading the Google posts as well as yours, I am beginning to believe that it may be the motherboard. I would enter the motherboard model in both Google Advanced and Google Groups to see what others are saying about it. Check also the hardware sites http://www.anandtech.com and http://www.tomshardware.com to see what they say, if anything. This is not a brand I have have heard about before and since I completed my system in Nov. '99, I look in on them only occasionally.

Counterspy

Guest artaois

@pmpatrick - those links you gave me describe the EXACT problem here!!!!!!! - too bad it seems none of them seem to have fixed it :(

@chef_kunal - tried both of those (nopentium and noapic) - doesn't work - i've also disabled everything in the bios and tried, then enabled them, unplugged everything too, but same results every time

also - i just updated the bios to the "latest" version, but that's still a year old....

Guest artaois

you guys are NOT going to believe this....

i found a tiny little forum where a guy had the same problem... as a joke someone told him to ENABLE the onboard sound even though he had a SB Live! (like i do) - well....

the joke worked - and the installation program runs as it should (don't ask why, but it does ;) )

so thanks to all for your help, and i'll see you again when i get mdk up and running :D