Wireless card not getting an IP

Guest lil_baller

Guest lil_baller

Its been 2 days and I have finally got my wireless driver working using ndiswrapper but I can not obtain and IP address. When I try dhclient wlan0 I get these errors:

No DHCPOFFERS received

No working leases in persistent database - sleeping

/sbin/dhclient-script: line3: Ip: command not found

/sbin/dhclient-script: line 4: Mask: command not found

Guest lil_baller

Actually the access point is connected to a Lan and there is a DHCP server giving out all the ip address on the network. When I boot in windows I am able to obtain and IP on the laptop. Also when I check the AP it has Failed Authentication, status "Unsupported Authentication Algorithm" The AP is a Cisco 350

I'd try switching off (briefly) any wep or other encryption/authetication for the network to see if you can then get a lease. If you can its a matter of finding out what method your setup uses and how to impliment it on the machine.

Please post back if you get stuck, or let us know how you fixed it :D

I'd also check the info in your config

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

If you just did it thru Control Center, you may find not all is as it should be. If in doubt, post the contents here and I'll have a look.

Also, if poss. can you show us the output of ifconfig and iwconfig commands? I often get hinky behaviour from my card - every now and then it just doesn't seem to accept all the config info (i.e. AP name/MAC address, ESSID, Encryption Key). Usually a reboot cures this...

PS - what make of card are you using?

Guest lil_baller

When I turn off the encryption/authetication for the AP it is still giving me the error when I type

dhclient wlan0 :

No DHCPOFFERS received.

No working leases in persistent database - sleeping

/sbin/dhclient-script: line 3: Ip: command not found

/sbin/dhclient-script: line 4: Mask: command not found

dhcpcd wlan0:

/etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd.exe: line 27: .: filename argument required .: usage . filename

Those are the errors I am still getting.

Guest lil_baller
I'd also check the info in your config

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

If you just did it thru Control Center, you may find not all is as it should be. If in doubt, post the contents here and I'll have a look.

Also, if poss. can you show us the output of ifconfig and iwconfig commands? I often get hinky behaviour from my card - every now and then it just doesn't seem to accept all the config info (i.e. AP name/MAC address, ESSID, Encryption Key). Usually a reboot cures this...

PS - what make of card are you using?

ifcfg-wan0

DEVICE=wlan0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

IPADDR=No Ip

NETMASK=No Mask

BROADCAST=255

ONBOOT=yes

HWADDR= "MAC ADDRESS"

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

I am using a Xterasys XN-2423G I used Ndis Wrapper to configure the card with the xp driver for the card. I read that this card acutally uses the TI ACX111 driver.

If that is exactly how the file is, there are a couple of other things that should be in there. First comment-out the lines for IPADDR and NETMASK (put a # in front), and add

WIRELESS_ESSID=your_essid

WIRELESS_MODE=Managed

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=your_hex_key

DHCP_HOSTNAME=your_comp_name

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

I think that's all but I'm in Win now; will check my file later. Also, was there a specific reason for using dhclient manually? the ifcfg-wlan0 script should call it implicitly.

NOTE: if your interface comes up but iwconfig shows ESSID, key and other info missing, you can try adding that manually. Start with

$> iwconfig wlan0 essid your_ssid

If the AP is working correctly (does it have ESSID broadcast enabled?) it should complete the other info. Usually. What are you currently seeing from iwconfig?

I am using a Xterasys XN-2423G I used Ndis Wrapper to configure the card with the xp driver for the card. I read that this card acutally uses the TI ACX111 driver.

Hi there,

If your chipset is T1 your in luck. Driverloader don't charge for this chipset as I found out the other day. You get an OEM license which is permanent. Installation is a breeze, & configuration via the web page is also very efficient. You will need wireless-tools installed, but I think you have those installed..

Guest lil_baller
If that is exactly how the file is, there are a couple of other things that should be in there. First comment-out the lines for IPADDR and NETMASK (put a # in front), and add

WIRELESS_ESSID=your_essid

WIRELESS_MODE=Managed

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=your_hex_key

DHCP_HOSTNAME=your_comp_name

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

I think that's all but I'm in Win now; will check my file later. Also, was there a specific reason for using dhclient manually? the ifcfg-wlan0 script should call it implicitly.

NOTE: if your interface comes up but iwconfig shows ESSID, key and other info missing, you can try adding that manually. Start with

$> iwconfig wlan0 essid your_ssid

If the AP is working correctly (does it have ESSID broadcast enabled?) it should complete the other info. Usually. What are you currently seeing from iwconfig?

I found the problem to be in the Key on the card and AP. The only problem I am having on the networking side is looks as if I can ping server names on the network that I know are in DNS but when I try to ping window 2000 machine names its not working but I can ping there ip address. I can ping there name if I put it in the hostfile but there ip's changes. Do I need to setup a WINS server??