Updating to Mandrake 10.1

photoworks

the experts advise us to prefer a new install above an update. i am not an expert at all :headbang: but i believe u can update the software using urpmi. there is also a faq topic related to that that you might want to explore.

with respect to the issues, i would say non if u update to the 10.1 official version which is now available. the 10.1 CE is a pre-release and thus is having various issues but is working fine for me, ie i got the issues easily resolved thanks to the help of this forum.

you should use the 10.1 OE. it has more drivers (nvidia etc...) and more apps.

any way, updating is a bit risky especially if there are major leaps in system-apps development like gnome. you can update the box with urpmi. most of the time it works okay. but if your box gets screwed up and in case that you don't know how to fix possible bugs that might appear, it is better to have some clean, new 10.1 cds of the system at hand which you can use to reinstall your base system.

i would try updating with urpmi first. even if everything gets borked. it will be a learning experience nonetheless.

p.s.: best way for using urpmi is not using kde, gnome or any other desktop for logging in. log into your base system as root and at the command line and run urpmi. this will solve some problems that might appear when updating kde or gnome or mandrake-tools.

good luck. :)