Problems Installing LAN

Guest rowinter

Guest rowinter

I know I am missing something simple, but...

Trying to connect Mandrake 10.1 to a Windows Network. Machine is dual boot with Win Me which uses the network connection without a problem (same SMC nic card etc).

Standard ethernet using three switches. Wireles node using D-Link DI-614+ router (unit not used for internet connection, only wireless node). Main Windows XP Prof computer has assigned IP 196.168.0.1 all others use DCHP (Win XP Home).

Linux machine has been set up several different ways using the wizard, but none work. I followed the progress at the console and always received a failed error when eth0 was restarted. It seems to me that I should be able to set up linux as a simple DCHP machine with no host name.

Windows machine share Drives, not files. Also, how do you set up the workgroup (Office) in Linux. There is no domain.

Sorry to be such a new user about this, but I have been searching for two day for information.

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

and if it fails again at start up, open a console and get root access (su) then type:

ifup eth0

this will bring up the eth0 interface, hopefully connecting you to the network, after that, try running your lan config again and set a static ip if need be, or use dynamic then in a console type (as root):

ifconfig

and make sure you have obtained an IP address (if set dynamically)

or try pinging your router if you set it as static:

ping 192.168.1.X

where x is the routers address

if you can do this it has worked, reboot and hope it starts at boot time. if not... you may have to keep typing "ifup eth0" each time untill a proper fix is found. (i had the same issue - the above worked for me!)

I followed the progress at the console and always received a failed error when eth0 was restarted.

To begin, I hope not to get you off-track but I had an eth0 failure myself after installing mdk 10.0 official. I am using the on-board gig-thernet card on an asus mobo. The bring eth0 up i had to modify the ifcfg-eth0 config file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and insert the line 'MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes' without the quotes. This fix is now incorporated in version 10.1 CE.

ifup eth0

this will bring up the eth0 interface, hopefully connecting you to the network, after that, try running your lan config again and set a static ip if need be, or use dynamic then in a console type (as root):

this also has the benefit of giving you more detail on if/why it failed.

If you want a domain / workgroup then these are foreign concept to linux because it uses pure TCP/IP on ethernet... and these are 'micro$ concepts' ..

If you do want to use them you can, but it is as an add-on ..

SAMBA is the *nix networking compatibility for *nix machines to interact with windows and will even allow you to be domain controller... however it would be a good idea trying to get your head round linux networking which is actually much simpler than micro$ networking... which is all actually bolted on to Windows in any case!

Guest rowinter

Thanks for all the advice. I followed all the proceedures to find that I had used an improper IP address when setting up the windows network. The IP address for the router (wireless node) was the same as a windows computer. Windows did not care, but I think Linux did.

Also, I needed a proper Host name to get the network to come up. I do not under stand the ins and outs of the Host name, but I put in a nonsense name (Mandrake.Office.com) and Linux was happy. The ethernet card was loaded without a problem. However, I have not solved communication problem yet as I can not ping from Linux to the one computer with a static IP address and I can not ping from windows back to the Linux computer. However, from here, I probably can figure out the rest.

I have to stop now as I found out about the Linux equivalant of the "Blue Screen of Death." I tried to reboot Linux to see if eth0 would load at boot, and the system refused to boot. Got pages of error messages, so probably some configuration file is missing that starts x system and KDE (boot gets to the console). Looks like a video problem from the error messages (not hardware). I have a Physics test to write (on a windows machine now) so I will have to get back to Linux later.

Thanks again, for the help

Best thing to do would be a manual configuration of your network. It looks like you already did that. The hostname doesnt need any entry, also for the zeroconf field, just leave them blank. Once your internet connection is working properly you can move on to the network configuration. For that you need sambe, check the howto for clear instructions to set it up.