Installation problem!!! Can anyone help?

Sophisto

Hi! Im new to Linux and maybe thats where my problem lies; I downloaded the 3 iso files from http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=71 I burned them with Nero 6.6 and booted with the first cd. I have two partitions on my harddrive and then another harddirve where i have my third (E) partion on. I decided to use the windows space option and the program seem to have created 3 new partitions. One swap partition and one 3gb and another 5gb partition. When the program then tried to format them I just got an error message saying something like "Can't find Kernel ..... "

Ive tried to restart the setup program and use the partitioning tool but without success.. I still get the same message when i try to format. It doesnt even start, it just shows that error message when it seems like its trying to load something from the cd-rom.

Does anyeone have a clue what to do?

Thanks a lot!

hi sophisto : )

have you tried the manual partitioning option already? if not, try that one. you can't do much wrong. create one partition (~4gb) for root → / , then one swap partition (double size of your ram) and one /home partition. fileformat: preferrably reiserfs.

To mount a windows partition is really very simple.

Open Mandrake Control Centre (MCC) .......> Mount Points .............> Partitions ........> Now click OK on the popup that reminds you to backup your data first.................> You will see your windows partitions shown in BLUE. Click on the partition you believe to be the one you want then click on the button called........Mount Point....in the window that pops up, type in..... /windows (or what ever you want to call it) and click on OK.

Now click on the button titled ......... Mount .... now click on .....> ...DONE ( located at bottom right).

Now finally click on ......> YES on the popup that asks "Do you want to save /etc/fstab modifications ".

Now you can open Konqueror and you will find ?windows that you can now access.

Hope this helps.

Cheers. John