URPMI: Frustration more than ever!

MoonChild

Yes, did the upgrade too! What do I get?

After 2 hours of playing around to fix it, I managed to get urpmi to work again. But no... It won't install anything because of corrupted rpm database. It refuses to install anything because it can't add it on the database.

So how about rebuilding the database? Nope... It seems it doesn't like that either. How about doing it manually? I tried to follow the link the others gave. But that is too complex for me. Any more clear ideas?

Oh Great :evil: Don't tell me urpmi-4.0-20.1mdk, because I did the update as well, but so far I haven't had any probs. What to do? what to do? :shock: Uninstall b4 something does get screwed up? Or wait and see?

Does anyone know if there is a common issue that causes the probs, like a certain command or something. Or is this another wishy washy, works for some and not others?

I will say that after doing some adding and removing of pkges that there're no _db.0x files left over.

I had luck with using urpmi.removemedia -c individually for each source shown in source manager.

Another guy on Mandrake Forum (comments) used a different approach and fixed his situation. Hope this will work for you Moonchild.

I also had problems after upgrading the 9.0 urpmi packages (and I used urmpi for the upgrade). After a long and boring session of trials and errors, the following command did the job: 

urpmi.update -f -a 

That is, after rebuilding the hdlist files everything went back to normal. I hope this helps others ...

I am still a real newbie with Linux, but 20+ yrs of computing with other OS's and this feels like the upgrade caused some file corruption in the rpm db that is causing these problems. Once I did the urpmi.removemedia -c thing, I noticed that it forced a rewrite of urpmi.cfg file which also was corrupted and had some ghost entries from sources/mirrors I had previously removed and no longer showed in Source Manager, but WERE still showing in urpmi For example, everytime I did urpmi.update, it would say it was ignoring ftp1u which was NOT a source any longer. So something about the interface between rpm and urpmi is not happy about this upgrade. :roll:

Well, not only did I have to completely remove ALL sources, but I had to copy, hdlist, and the rest of the .cz's from /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/base/. I couldn't add any thing removable, only remote. Anyway, I've got the default back and it seems to be working. :oops: whew :o

Just my $.02 here but I have encountered the same problem several times. It appears the one of the sources in the list is incorrect. Maybe a back file header or something in one of the files. The easiest way to discouver what it is, open a terminal in SU, type urpmi-addmedia (name) Where ie(file://... or ftp://...) with hdlist.cz (last is optional). It will try and then indicate the problem source. You can then remove that souce and try again. When you finally get it to work, go back and try to reinstall the problem source it will tell you which file is the problem and what the problem with it is.

Good Luck

Good to know these various fixes. In my googling it seems that there are LOTS of problems with rpm and urpmi and not all are result of operator error ! Guess all the interaction makes them sensitive to changes, eh?

Thanks to all for sharing the fixes. I am sure that it will help many others.

:D