USB not working can't see HP printer won't print

jordanthompson

Hi there,

I have on-board usb ports that seem to be recognized by Mandrake 10.0 (I can see it via harddrake.)

I don't remember the file, but there was a post that suggested tailing a log file to see if plugging/unplugging a usb device is recorded - I tried this and it was not.

I manually set up the printer (an HP882C Deskjet that is in the supported printer list) but nothing prints.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

When you say you manually added the printer you mean you used the MCC to set it up or did you use cups or KDE, or did you edit some files?

HP printers are pretty well supported so it should work. I suggest you let the MCC set it up for you. Make sure the printer is 'on' when the MCC starts configuring.

Good luck.

When you say you manually added the printer you mean you used the MCC to set it up or did you use cups or KDE, or did you edit some files?

Thanks - I'll clarify...

WHen I ran MCC/printers, there were none listed and it did not find one on the USB.

I used MCC and added the printer I wanted (via "Manual configuration.") It was not discovered by the system. I had to select USB 0 for connection.

I checked under /dev/usb and the only enry is hid and it is empty.

make sure you have the hp printer drivers loaded from urpmi ---- i think they are hpoj --- just su then urpmi hpoj

--- oh yeah I think you might want to reistall the printer again after that -- i usually try to install through cups instead of MCC.

Edited by durvish

open up console and su to root then type ptal-init setup and probe for the usb printer, it will find the hp printer, then follow the directions

after that is done shut down cups then restart cups (or just reboot0

then go to cups and set up the printer.

p.s.

i know this is going to be a stupid question -- but do you have cups installed?

also if your printer is an all-in-one then goto sourceforge and download the hpijs source and build it before you ptal-init to get all the components working