Gnome panel issue

fred_the_fish

I'm not really sure where to post this...

anyway, I have a problem with Gnome - I deccided to be clever and move my ticker and clock apps etc to some new panels - so I have one panel with the menu icons, and some quick-start programs, a middle panel with the desktop switcher, and app-picker, and the third panel contains clock, weather, notification box and volume controller. This all worked fine until I restarted X, and tried to log-in.. Now, I keep getting the error "Panel is already in existence" or something similar. I press "OK" and it lets me into Gnome, with the desktop and desktop icons, but NONE of panels exist. I know its not actually a broken problem within Gnome, cause root can login without any problems.

How do I fix this without having to delete my gnome prefences files and completly restarting the customisation of my Gnome from scratch? (this is Gnome 2.6).

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman]

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe some things didn't stop running correctly. The way to tell is to log out to the console, do a ps ux as your user, and kill off anything that you see running that shouldn't be (basically, anything that you see listed other than bash could be killed). Then log in again, and it should be fine.

This happened to me last night, where Nautilus wasn't drawing a desktop on my left monitor, just the taskbar and then that thatched b&w pattern.

Try it next time something messes up on you, it should work and maintain your uptime. ;)