Remote Linux Access

Tymestream

Morning,

I am trying to access my linux box from a windoze laptop. I need to access the X environment so putty will not do. What are the best options out there? I have been trying to use VNC but had a little trouble setting it up so before I investigate are there other options?

Cheers

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

The ABOLUTE simplest (and not efficient) way is simply to ssh into the box and then start the progs you want back on yours using the DISPLAY envvar

example

your laptop IP is 192.168.2.10 and desktop .11

(as the user who owns the desktop)

xhost + 192.168.2.11 #allows this IP to open a xwindows on this machine.. without the IP it is global but you can also use names if you have it set upo!

ssh 192.168.2.11

#do your login stuff

export DISPLAY=192.168.2.10:0.0 # i.e. your laptop DISPLAY 0.0

konqueror & #or whateve you want to execute should now open in a window on your laptop

you can go a step further and use a remote login to the whol desktop (or an alternate one) and start a whole X server on the laptop for the desktop ...

you log in as normal and your laptop will act like a dumb terminal...

the easiest way to set this up is using gdm as a display manager instead of the default mdkdm

You can use the KDe remote desktop but i havent had much luck with this ... I havent tried that hard tho...since I revert back to the simpe method above when desperate :D