GNU/Hurd

a13x

I've just heard about this new Kernel that is in development. I thought the project had died. I mean that is the impression that R. Stallman gave me in the "Revolution OS" movie. Has anybody tested it ? They say it still has lots of bugs, doesn't support certain hardware, etc, but IS it promissing ? Will it be able to challenge GNU/Linux ? Debian seems to support it.

What do you guys think ?

I really didn't have a good look at it, but as far as I know this is a micro-kernel (is this the correct term?) they are developping. This means that most stuff happens outside the kernel (drivers, ... ? ) as far aas I know ... So, they should be quite stable I suppose. someone correct me on this if I'm wrong pls ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microkernel#Microkernels

I would like to try it out ... I think this would be a great addition. From what I just read ... I like the file-translators :), ...

Edited by Michel

HURD isn't a microkernel; it's the whole monolithic-kernel-substitute-collection-of-stuff (I'm sure there's a technical term for this :>) built by the GNU project on top of the Mach microkernel. i.e., HURD is actually the term for the Mach microkernel PLUS all of the stuff built on top of it that would usually go in a monolithic kernel (networking stack and so forth). There's a release of Debian based on the HURD. It's very, very definitely still at the "plaything for hackers" stage rather than the "OS any sane person would actually use" stage, but you can download the newest release from Debian if you want to try it out. Don't expect it to be packaged for Mandrake for another 10 years or so ;)

The Hurd Kernel has been in development, in one form or another, since the late 80's, and 15-16 years later, it is still not usable (other than for curious hackers). The Linux Kernel, as wonderful, fast, stable and flexible as it is, effectively made the Hurd kernel irrelevant (since it combined nicely with the GNU user land utilities). Only Richard Stallman and a small collection of FSF hackers seem to care about the Hurd kernel, mostly on a theoretical basis ("micro kernels are better than monolithic kernels", blah blah, blah).

Open source thrives on merit, not on theory. The proof is always in the pudding. For the past several years, the Linux kernel has been proving itself, in a big way. If the Hurd hackers ever want anyone to use their kernel, they had better make it work, and show the world some advantages to using it. Oherwise, it is doomed to purgatorial irrelevance, and should be ignored by all but the most pain addicted individuals.

And no, I've never used it. If they ever get it to a usable state (where they say so on their own website), I might give it a try out of curiousity.