failsafe service

jeanrev

Hi all,

to-day I started on the failsafe branch at lilo's window just to check what would happens

I ended up with a login on command line and i didn't know what to do there

in the end I wanted to reboot but unluckily there was no response to shutdown -h now or halt

I had to do a killall to get out of there and I wonder :

1 what is this failsafe for ?

2 How to come out of a man's page which doesn't give me back hand or reboot out of the command line session ?

I tried google linux on failsafe & went deeper into perplexity on this unanswered question

thanks for your attention

Failsafe is the single-user mode. During bootup Linux starts a whole lot of processes (internet, sound X etc etc) and if something is wrong with one of these processes you have a problem.

When you boot into single-user mode almost nothing gets started so the chance that you will hve a problem is very small. Once Linux is started you can begin to solve problems, fix things etc etc.

In single user-mode you have to login (as root or as normal user). Type in your username and password like you always do. If you want to go to X you than type: init 5 (or init 3 and then startx). If you want to shutdown type: halt.

Good luck

edit: Something important I forgot: you always have root privileges in single-user mode. So be carefull.

Edited by devries

[CTRL] +D or simple logout should reboot your machine.

failsafe is more, much more then safe mode in wind00wz (if this tells you something).

I think you can even do a chroot to you original / , start all your services, ad so on.

It should be used more for debug purposes.

A french link on the subject http://lists.ze-linux.org/2004-03/msg00568.html with an example.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...