How do I get a fileserver?

phunni

My network currently consists of 4 machines: 1 server(Linux) 1 desktop(Linux) 2 laptops (windows).

At rpesent the server shares it's internet connection and printer with the whole network and protects them behind a firewall.

I would like to be able to use the server as a fileserver as well -i.e. it can mount shares from the other machines and then share them to the whole network. The point being so that I can have a central point to which any machine must go before it can mount a network share.

Is this possible?

At first I tried to simply mount on the server using NFS and then share this mount via samba - but this didn't really work as well as I'd hoped it would. Ideally I'd like to be able to share everything with complete read/write access

• 4 weeks later...

While the network folks here come by and read your post, you could begin by downloading the Server manual from here: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fdoc.php3 . There is nothing like docs to get a new project off the ground. Rephrase the question: Can I run an adequate firewall on my fileserver that will serve it and the other machines on my network?

Counterspy

I would like to be able to use the server as a fileserver as well -i.e. it can mount shares from the other machines and then share them to the whole network. The point being so that I can have a central point to which any machine must go before it can mount a network share.

Let me make sure you are saying what it looks like you are saying. You want to create shares on the laptops and Linux desktop, have the server mount those shares, and then share the shares with the server?

What I *think* you want to do is create a share (or shares for each user) on the server, and allow that share to be mounted by the desktop and laptops. If this is the case, use Samba.

One caveat: Having shares on the same box that is the gatekeeper (firewall) to the outside world is not really a great thing to do. If someone gets past the firewall with the right permissions, they'll find all your private secrets right there on the machine they penetrated.