samba is insane - SOLVED

a13x

Samba is absolutely insane. I started my computer and a guy from the network wanted to get BSplayer from me. He told me to share it. I told him: "don't be stupid it's already shared". And he said that it's not. There are no shared folders. Knowing that Samba has worked flawless so far I decided to check the problem myself. I opened Smb4k. This shocked me : no samba share. I ran the samba configuration tool (the module from Konqueror). Every shared folder's proprieties were changed. The 'browsable' and 'available' checkboxes were unchecked so I checked them myself. After this I told the guy from my LAN to get BSplayer because I fixed the problem. He said that all of them look like printer shares. Again I checked the problem with smb4k and it was true. They didn't look like folders. When I tried to access them with smb4k smb4k said that it can't handle printer shares.

What is going on ? Sometimes things that are extremely stupid happen (like this one) and piss me off. :wall:

Thank you very much for your support, your advices played a crucial part in fixing this problem which gave lots of troubles even to gurus. :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

I managed to fix it myself. I uninstalled Samba completely then I downloaded the latest version and installed. I configured it and now it seems to work fine.

I will probably never know why that ugly bug happened or if it will happen again but at least the problem is fixed for now :P.

Edited by a13x

Apart from mdk10.0OE what were your other configs?

Were you running samba 3.0.2a? If so you should have updated on the 22-09-04. :jester:

I think that was D-day for samba to blow all the capacitors on your motherboard, to give all of your previously described grief, and to also format your windows (all editions except 3.11) partitions :D

Did you update to 3.0.7 ?

D-Day is on 25-..................

cheers from a non-guru. And well done.

Apart from mdk10.0OE what were your other configs?

Meaning .... hardware ?

Were you running samba 3.0.2a? If so you should have updated on the 22-09-04. jester.gif

I think that was D-day for samba to blow all the capacitors on your motherboard, to give all of your previously described grief, and to also format your windows (all editions except 3.11) partitions biggrin.gif

Yup. There was grief .... because I had to share about 10 folders, many were located on windows partitions :( and not easy to reach because I had to crawl deep for them.

Did you update to 3.0.7 ?

It was the only way. :cheesy:

cheers from a non-guru. And well done.

THX.

Configs ? - should have really said software versions or something.

Yes I should have said that. But people could have assumed I was using the standard version that came with MDK 10 OE. :P

Anyway the subject is closed now, the problem is gone .... no sense talking about it anymore. :beer: