How can I upgrade my 10.0 to 10.1 using the net?

humano457

Hi, since MDK 10.1 CE has been announced I've been interested in upgrading mi MDK 10.0 OF but I don't know how, I really don't want to download and burn all the four ISOs again so, is there any other way to upgrade my system??

I've read something about upgrading via urpmi but I still don't get it, does Linux itself download what is necessary or do I have to point it out?

Thanks!

humano,

you really want to upgrade your system to a not-yet-stable Community?

It's for bug hunters, the Official version will be out in november.

My suggestion is that you try it on a seperate partition, do not try it on your (only) running system, unless you are very experienced.

Ok, you want?

First read this very carefully:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=7254

You also need: a fast, reliable connection. It will download hundreds and hundreds MB maybe 1,5 GB (depends on your system).

You should be familiar with command line. Don't do this while running X ;-)

Two steps:

- setup your urpmi sources to community 10.1

- init 3

- # urpmi --auto-select

If you survive this, come back and tell us about it.

Good luck.

Not sure how wise it is to upgrade like that. Even with shinny new cd's of the next release its all about luck in a upgrade. Also 10.0 uses "devfs" and 10.1 uses "udev".

MDK 10.1 should be backward compatable but it may still give you some problems.

Edited by ac_dispatcher

Guest thepolish

i just do my upgrade this afternoon with no pb:

just go in 10.1 ftp tree, get the boot.iso image in images directory, burn it, and boot on

choose upgrade, then fill the ftp adress of the 10.1 tree, and wait for downloading.

worked great :)

Thepolish

this ought to work. devfs -> udev migration is handled, might need to remove devfs=mount from lilo.conf, though. the other big one to watch out for that I can think of is make sure that you overwrite kdmrc with kdmrc.rpmnew - apparently, if you don't, mdkkdm won't work. other than that, should be fine.

(btw, my laptop hasn't had a fresh install since 9.0 :>)

this ought to work. devfs -> udev migration is handled, might need to remove devfs=mount from lilo.conf, though. the other big one to watch out for that I can think of is make sure that you overwrite kdmrc with kdmrc.rpmnew - apparently, if you don't, mdkkdm won't work. other than that, should be fine.

(btw, my laptop hasn't had a fresh install since 9.0 :>)

yes, that's a good idea. I didn't take devfs out of grub, thinking it was all still back compat and working together and my cdrom and dvd weren't working right. X also stalled because of the sleep command that I traced back to devfsd>lp.script. Once devfs was disabled everyhting was fine.