Modem Strangeness

Guest Mandrake_Mouse

Guest Mandrake_Mouse

OK, I just installed a new BestData 56.6 PCI jumpered modem yesterday. All day yesterday, and last night, the modem worked fine. I use VPPP to dial up, on a Mandrake 9.0 box that's been stable for a couple of months now.

Anyway, after I logged on to check my email today, I shut the connection down, and walked away from the comp. I went back in about 10 minutes, hit VPPP, and tried to dial up. It LOOKED like it was dialing, but no sounds from the modem. I shut the connection attempt down, used a terminal to kill -9 pppd, and tried again. Same results. I checked the phone line with a phone that's connected TO the back of the pc thru the modem, and the dial tone was fine. It SEEMS like the modem is not initializing.

I rebooted the comp (YUK) and it dialed up fine. I dropped the connection, and tried to reconnect. Again, the modem was not initializing. Had to reboot AGAIN (twice in one day, when it's usually twice in a month or so).

What would cause the modem not to "unlock" and shut itself down properly so it relocks when I try to dial in a second time? I KNOW it's dropping the connection and the modem is down, because I'm getting that dial tone thru the modem. I'm baffled.

Can you, just as an experiment, send the reset command to the modem in a term? If that works, I think you can add that to the sequence in the vppp. It should do that anyway, but it seems the modem is not resetting correctly. The shut down and restart is doing it instead.

Guest Mandrake_Mouse

Tried that. Also tried using KPPP to reset the modem. No luck. Funny thing is, after the last reboot, everything is working. I've dropped my connection 3 times, and bounced right back to dialing in. Must have been a gremlin. :twisted:

I've have a Conexant HSF56k WinModem that does the same to me about 5 times a week. Lately it seems to have gotten worse, so yesterday (being fed up with rebooting) Idid;

ps auxf

then;

kill -9 "pid"

[EDITED] of oafd --ac-activate --ior-output-fd=10 (gnome2,ML9.0)

then the modem initialized and connected. Haven't looked into why yet.

I had a conexant modem like that which gave me the same kind of headache in windows. I would have to give dos commands to it in dos shell in order to reset it. Eventually a better driver corrected the problem ( and a better modem). That's why I think adding an additional command would work.

Gremlins or aliens? :shock:

Guest Mandrake_Mouse

It's been working like gangbusters since the last reboot sometime yesterday afternoon. If it starts screwing up again, I'll try adding the reset string to the tkl script in VPPP.

I never had any luck getting a Conexant modem to work for more than 10 minutes at the time. After I blew up my last 2 Harmony ISA modems, the jumpered BestData was the next choice. And I think I mistakenly identified it as a PCI modem in my original post. It is, indeed, and ISA interface. :oops:

This is why I go with external modems...

Have you looked into an IRQ sharing problem??? It might be that the internal modem is set for the same IRQ as some other piece of equipment that is being polled,.. and it's locking the thing up.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mandrake_Mouse

In response to JaseP - It's not an IRQ problem. Same comport and IRQ as my last modem ( com2 IRQ3 ). never had this problem with it, and it was a Harmony.

I response to the driver question... I'm not running a driver. It's a hardware modem, jumpered to com2/IRQ3 . I ran the cat on modules.conf just to be sure:

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

probeall usb-interface usb-uhci

above snd-ens1370 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-slot-0 snd-ens1370

alias /dev/nvidia* NVdriver

It works fine most of the time. Just doesn't seem to reset correctly sometimes. And the strange part is, even when I can't get the modem to respond, I still have a dial tone (thru the modem, with attached phone line). It sometimes goes thru 20 - 30 connect/disconnects without a hitch. Then again, I may have to reboot twice in the same day sometimes, because it stops responding. Just going with it, for now, until I can find another Harmony to replace it with.

Guest Mandrake_Mouse

Can't use the drivers from http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/ . Those are for the conexant PCI HSF and HCF modems. This is an ISA jumpered modem. Not a PCI interface. I actually DID try to use them, but the "no compatible modems found" error, because of the ISA board. It's looking for a PCI board. I'm going to try the new ones, released on 12/31/2002, just to be sure.

As I said, though, the modem is running fine most of the time.