Gnome Only distro based on Debian

bvc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have you tried as root? I know the first user...bla bla bla....but try as root, or create another user. Next step would either be to wait for an update, get newer/older engines from another repos, or get the latest and compile them. Engines are very easy to compile.

i tried everything and nothing worked so far (compiling, installing & uninstalling repositories, changing themes, reinstalling themes,...). i have already reported this bug and added a screenie, showing the mess. somehow strange that ubuntus own .deb engine files don't work with 75% of all themes.

and the mounting of my partitions still doesn't work... :wall::wall::wall:

can all of you mount different partitions without major problems? please check it for me. if all of you have this prob, then it is a grave kernel-bug.

okay, the theme engine got fixed by itself after eight reboots. i talked with the debian-developer team and no one had an explanation for it, but they will test it thoroughly, just like me.

and i finally got my partitions mounted... but i can't access any files as normal user. only as root and somehow, i am unable to change the access-rights as root. ... so more work to do... i hope i can fix that one too... :unsure:

now, everything is fixed again, up and running and hip hop horray!

somehow, after updating my system, i somehow got a bad download of my gtk-engines (shitty isp-provider) and a reinstall helped. so everything in that area works now fine.

i also finally have full access now to all my other distros and partitions. :woot:

echylo, next time, skip grub or put it somewhere where it won't cause any harm.

i have installed ubuntu also on a box of a girl-friend of mine and the only downpoint i have with ubuntu is that the ubuntu bootloader won't detect microsoft operating systems. (but it did recognize yoper.:)) actually, i hate editing lilo or grub-files... it is sometimes a mess (especially if you forget which partition you put the other system on. :P), resulting in a trial and error game... and some comments like " why did you have to install this? now, nowthing will work and my work is lost and blablabla..." :lol:

Edited by arctic

first you have to edit your fstab file, after that do mount -a as root in a console, then edit the lilo.conf.

it should look like this

image=/mnt/ubroot/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-2-386

[the /mnt/ubroot directoy was created by me. call your ubuntu folders the way you want and change accordingly]

label=ubuntu

[or whatever you want to call it on the lilo-screen]

root=/dev/hdb4

[here, you must place ubuntu's partition or hd number]

initrd=/mnt/ubroot/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-2-386

[here you have to link lilo to the initrd.img, keep in mind that you might have to change the naming of "ubroot"-folder]

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb5"

[here comes your swap partition number]

read-only

now, save and exit and run lilo in a console. reboot and you are done :)

can't get gtk-sharp to build as there's no binary.

unmet deps

:twisted:

trying to get mono to run and it need gtk-sharp. Anyone accomplish this? Google showed this to be a big deb prob. The easy fix is to downgrade libgtkhtml3 but that means evolution goes from 2.0 to 1.5. YUK!

:devil:

no, I won't use thunderbird.....did....just started again with evo after a year and I'm liking it. :P

Edited by bvc

can't get gtk-sharp to build as there's no binary.

unmet deps

:twisted:

trying to get mono to run and it need gtk-sharp. Anyone accomplish this? Google showed this to be a big deb prob. The easy fix is to downgrade libgtkhtml3 but that means evolution goes from 2.0 to 1.5. YUK!

:devil:

no, I won't use thunderbird.....did....just started again with evo after a year and I'm liking it. :P

> Is there a gtk-sharp package?  I see the examples & gapi package.  If I

> want to build gtk-sharp from "testing"

>

> http://packages.debian.org/testing/libs/gtk-sharp

>

> What is the best way to do this?

No need, it's in tseng's repository. To find out the binary packages

build by a particular source package, do this:

$ apt-cache showsrc gtk-sharp | grep ^Binary

Binary: libvte-cil, libgtk-cil, libgnome-cil, libgconf-cil, libglib-

cil, libglade-cil, gtk-sharp-examples, gtk-sharp-gapi

- Jeff

--

Ooh, ooh, ooh!            http://www.ubuntulinux.org/          Ubuntu!

Looks like that is it, i was trying to rebuild the gtk-sharp package and ran into the same problem you did, but it appears that is all that is needed in tseng's repo.