cpu had a looooong night

a13x

The other night was crazy. I have no idea how it happened. I went to bed at 1:30 AM and before doing so I started aMule, checked that everything was ok and closed my monitor and speakers. I woke up at 7 AM. I was shocked to see (in gkrellm) that my cpu was being used at 100% :o aMule downloaded almost nothing (90 MB). The cpu temperature was pretty high estimated by me ( I don't know how high exactly because gkrellm says it can't find the mobo's temperature sensors so I put my hand near the cpu cooler). I don't know what shitty process was using such a huge amount of cpu power because I started GNOME monitor but it crashed. I immediately shut the PC down.

My questions are:

How the f*** did this happen ?

What stupid process worked so bad ?

Does anybody have a script that can prevent such stupid behavior in the future ?

Yes I am very frustrated because it is the first time it has happened to me and .... it shouldn't have. I always leave my computer to download something during the night.

I know about top but I don't like it. It doesn't show all processes and it's not as good as GNOME monitor or KDE guard.

But this doesn't answer my main questions: why did it happen and how can I prevent it ? (provided that I sleep during that time :P ).

I'm sure I wasn't hacked or something becasue I'm behind Linux server and also have Firestarter running on my PC. And besides this, all the other people in my network don't know anything about hacking and stuff.

Hey ! It was 7 AM and I freaked out seeing that my cpu had been under heavy stress all night long, because it had never happened before. I also suspect aMule but what caused it to behave like that ? What do you guys think ?

Do you know of a way to make Linux automaticaly kill the crazy process ?