Partitioning

Jet2k5

Hello,

Ok here's the story. Lately I have been triying to install some new things like gnome 2.6 and KDE 3.3 but I DO NOT have enough space.

As far as I know right now my /usr partition is combined into ONE partition with / . So /usr is with / in 1 big 'ol partition.

I have a 40 GB hard drive. But as we all know some times it's not really that size mine is probably around 36 GB big.

Right now this is what I know, my /home is 30GB. My / is 5.83 GB and my Swap is 494MB.

So I want to make more space for my /.

So far about the easiest Idea I have seen is to resize my /home to 20GB, and then mnt /usr on that free space.

The only thing is that I'm not familiar with a lot of this partition stuff. So if you can help me out please do so, write how I will do so and what steps I should take.

Thanks,

-Luis

Why dont you do the easiest?

Resize /home to 20 GB and then resize / to take up all that extra space.

I think you need to umount the partitions before you can make any changes in them, so id recommend you to use a LiveCD with QTParted (=Partition Magic alike) included, i.e. knoppix.

Thanks, that is what I had planned at first but some one told me that it's not possible. I have Knoppix right now. I just have to know how to use it or mount the partitions on it. If you can maybe explain it a little better than I'll be able to get this over and done with.

Thanks a lot.

-Luis

resizing partitions is the most risky thing you can do to them. Backup!

me? Aside from using partition magic 8 to do it, I would drop to init 1

Copy /usr to the new location

cp -fR /usr /home

NOTE: cp will take a loOOOoooong time

Move /usr

mv -f /usr /usrOLD

Link the new /usr in /home to the proper location

ln -s /home/usr /usr

reboot to make sure all is well

Remove the OLD /usrOLD

rm -fR /usrOLD

use at your own risk :D

Edited by bvc

resizing partitions is the most risky thing you can do to them. Backup!

me? Aside from using partition magic 8 to do it, I would drop to init 1

Copy /usr to the new location

cp -fR /usr /home

NOTE: cp will take a loOOOoooong time

Move /usr

mv -f /usr /usrOLD

Link the new /usr in /home to the proper location

ln -s /home/usr /usr

reboot to make sure all is well

Remove the OLD /usrOLD

rm -fR /usrOLD

use at your own risk :D

Those are some grean instructions there bvc but I'm still lost I was thinking about doing it from a Live CD. Can you explain how to do it from there?

-Luis

Used to be able to just do

init 1

from a terminal in X. I believe now you have to kill X to do it. Are you using a dm (gui login manager?) or do you startx from init 3? From init 3 the command, as root,

init 1

will get you there.

What you are doing here is using a symlink (ln -s) to make /usr think it is in / so that it is found but the symlink redirects the data to /home/usr ;)

no need to partition

Some do not like symlinks (shortcuts) but I've never had a problem with them and have done many variations of what I instructed above without data loss. All my data, media, themes, icons/cursors, wallpapers, docs etc....are are one partition and have been shared by 4-8 distros at one time using symlinks.

Edited by bvc

Ok this is what's wrong I tried what you said bvc and now I can't log into X or what ever

Using authority file /home/zero/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/zero/.Xauthority
Using uthority file /home/zero/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/zero/.Xauthority

Fatal server error: Cannot move old logfile " /var/log/XFree86.0.log.old"

When reportitng a problem related to a server crash, please send the full report problems to XFree86@xfree86.org

giving up.

xinit:Connection refused ( errno 111 ): Unable to connect to X server.
xinit: No such process ( errno 3 ): Server error

Looks bad I'm on a live cd right now :( :help:

-Luis

I don't know....what does

ls /usr/X11R6/bin

say?

[root@localhost root]# ls /usr/X11R6/bin
appres*              gvuncompress*  pswrap*             x11perf*         xgamma*      xrandr*
atobm*               iceauth*       rclock*             x11perfcomp*     xgc*         xrdb*
bdftopcf*            ico*           revpath*            xauth*           xhost*       xrefresh*
bdftruncate*         inb@           rman*               xbiff*           xinit*       xscreensaver*
beforelight*         inl@           rstart*             xcalc*           xkbbell*     xscreensaver-command*
bitmap*              inw@           rstartd*            xclipboard*      xkbcomp*     xscreensaver-demo*
bmtoa*               ioport*        RunWM*              xclock*          xkbevd*      xscreensaver-getimage*
ccmakedep*           lbxproxy*      RunWM.AfterStep@    xcmsdb*          xkbprint*    xscreensaver-getimage-file*
cleanlinks*          listres*       RunWM.Fvwm95@       xconsole*        xkbvleds*    xscreensaver-getimage-video*
dga*                 lndir*         RunWM.MWM@          xcursor-config*  xkbwatch*    xset*
dpsexec*             makeg*         RunWM.WindowMaker@  xcursorgen*      xkill*       xsetmode*
dpsinfo*             makepsres*     rxvt@               xcutsel*         xload*       xsetpointer*
DrakConf*            makestrs*      rxvt.bin*           xditview*        xlogo*       xsetroot*
editres*             mergelib*      rxvt.cjk*           xdm*             xlsatoms*    xsm*
enable_X11_numlock*  mkcfm*         rxvt.sh*            xdpyinfo*        xlsclients*  xstdcmap*
fslsfonts*           mkdirhier*     scanpci*            Xdrakres@        xlsfonts*    xtest*
fstobdf*             mkfontdir*     sessreg*            xedit*           xmag*        Xvfb*
gchooser*            mkfontscale*   setxkbmap*          xev*             xman*        xvidtune*
getconfig*           mkhtmlindex*   showfont*           xeyes*           Xmark*       xvinfo*
getconfig.pl*        mkxauth*       showrgb*            xf86cfg@         xmessage*    xvt@
gfilechooser*        mmapr*         smproxy*            xf86config@      xmh*         xwd*
ghostview@           mmapw*         startx*             xfd*             xmodmap*     xwininfo*
glxgears*            oclock*        texteroids*         xfindproxy*      xon*         Xwrapper*
glxinfo*             outb@          twm*                xfontsel*        Xorg*        xwud*
gmessage*            outl@          ucs2any*            XFree86@         xorgcfg*
gtf*                 outw@          viewres*            xfs*             xorgconfig*
gv*                  pcitweak*      vimx@               xfsinfo*         xprop*
gvim*                proxymngr*     X@                  xfwp*            Xprt*

this is what I got from knoppix tho but I think this sis not what you are looking for,

root@ttyp0[knoppix]# ls /usr/X11R6/bin
X            dga         mgpembed      twm            xfs         xrandr
XF86_3DLabs  dpsexec     mgpnet        ucs2any        xfsinfo     xrdb
XF86_8514    dpsinfo     mkcfm         uxterm         xgamma      xrefresh
XF86_AGX     editres     mkdirhier     viewres        xgc         xset
XF86_I128    fslsfonts   mkfontdir     wmaker         xhost       xsetmode
XF86_Mach32  fstobdf     mkfontscale   x11perf        xinit       xsetpointer
XF86_Mach64  gccmakedep  mkhtmlindex   x11perfcomp    xisdnload   xsetroot
XF86_Mach8   glxgears    mmapr         xauth          xkbbell     xsm
XF86_P9000   glxinfo     mmapw         xbiff          xkbcomp     xstdcmap
XF86_S3      gtf         oclock        xcalc          xkbevd      xtel
XF86_S3V     gv          pcitweak      xclipboard     xkbprint    xterm
XF86_SVGA    gxditview   pswrap        xclock         xkbvleds    xtrapchar
XF86_VGA16   iceauth     rdesktop      xcmsdb         xkbwatch    xtrapin
XF86_W32     ico         reconfig      xconsole       xkill       xtrapinfo
XFree86      imake       resize        xcursorgen     xlabed      xtrapout
Xmark        imaze       revpath       xcutsel        xload       xtrapproto
Xnest        ioport      rstart        xditview       xlogo       xtrapreset
appres       joycal      rstartd       xdm            xlsatoms    xtrapstats
atobm        listres     rstartd.real  xdpyinfo       xlsclients  xtv
bdftopcf     lndir       scanpci       xedit          xlsfonts    xvidtune
bdftruncate  luit        sessreg       xev            xmag        xvinfo
beforelight  makedepend  setxkbmap     xeyes          xman        xwd
bitmap       makeg       showfont      xf86cfg        xmessage    xwininfo
bmtoa        makepsres   showrgb       xf86config     xmkmf       xwintoppm
ccmakedep    makestrs    smproxy       xf86config-v3  xmodmap     xwud
chooser      mergelib    startx        xfd            xmonisdn    xzoom
cleanlinks   mgp         sxpm          xfindproxy     xon
cxpm         mgp2ps      texteroids    xfontsel       xprop

umm how would I mount a partition ? so that I can se what really is in my system?

and no I have not deleted the /usrOLD

-Luis :help:

Edited by Jet2k5

knoppix should already have mounted all the partitions, though it mounts them as read only. Look in /mnt?

I don't recall exactly how knoppix does it, though many others here could tell ya. I know some livecd's make a

/mnt/part1

/mnt/part2

etc.....

when you find it, for example, do

ls /mnt/part2//usr/X11R6/bin

To get the original back just delete the /usr symlink and rename /usrOLD to /usr

Edited by bvc

lol don't worry I got Windows installed along with Partition Magic, so from here I'm going to do some custom partitioning just asking me for some partitions that I don't know about like,

/var

/usr

I thought those would be included in /.

-Luis