X server wont start

eroica

:oops: hello again,

well i really hosed myself this time. i was ignoring the partmon warning about not enough space on / partition and when i went to reboot today the x server wouldnt start and i get kicked into a command prompt. there are all sorts of messages that I really don't understand when I tried startx command from prompt but the first line says that there was an error on line 113 not enough space to open some file. i did a df command and i saw that the / partition is 100% used. yikes. I would assume that this may be the root of why x server wont start? I tried booting w/mandrakemove 9.2 and was successful but I don't see my / partition w/linux on it? Do i have to mount the linux partition? I see the windows partition under /mnt fine. It would be nice if MandrakeMove had the Software Management section in MCC to look at what software packages i could remove but of course no such luck. Can someone tell me is there a command to list the rpm's from command line and also what is the command to remove packages? Also how much space do i have to free up to get x server working again?

thanx

alan

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Hey sorry to hear that, I ran into the same problem little over a week ago, no on knew how to restore it so I had to re-install.

Right now I have a thread open to find out how to make more space on / . Our problem seems to be that /usr is with /.

Read the post on this Section ' Partition ' hopefully I will get some cool new tips on how to go about it. Hope to see this work for the both of us. :thumbs:

-Luis