Game On.......

Guest brickwall

Guest brickwall

Hello again.

I have just installed a Linux MDR 10 Server onto our NT4 network at school.

I am sat here thinking .........that was easy........ but what could I use it to do on our network.

I am very keen to demonstrate to my managers how installing Linux would be a benefit over M.S.

Any suggestions

Thanks John

PS ................I have never ever used Linux before except playing with MDR..so be gentle please

I have never set up a network, but I have some ideas :).

You could set up as a file-server, a proxy-server (also for downloads? .. I suppose so and add content-filtering also ... I mean for pop-blocking, advertisement-blocking .. ofcourse you can have false negatives, but you could show a page evrytime you block something how to contact someone to unblock it ...) (squid, privoxy, dansguardian, ... I'm not sure if privoxy and dansguardian scale on large networks .. like I said I have never set them up), a mail-server with spam and virus-filtering, print-server: you can setup a virtual printer in cups (the print-server in most/all-linux-distributions) that makes pdf's of the pages you send to it. One drawback is that you can't choose the filename and location I think. It's generated by a script, ...

Ofcourse you can also do these things in windows ... (maybe that some applications I mentionned aren't really supported for windows) they are both operating systems, like said you have to compare to use which one for what ...

Linux has good networking-support I thought ... If you have apple's in your school, you could setup apple-talk-print and fileservers on linux I think (I just saw a link about it today) so apple-users have it easy also ... With mandrake you also have a lot of packages you can easily install (at least if you have added the different rpm-install-locations .. for example those from the easyurpmi-site.). You update all the software through rpm ... I believe there is a program that can notify you know when you have updates, but you could also setup a cron-job. Enhanced security?

You could set it up as a backup-server ... I just discovered them today, but there are program that will let you install iso-images (all pc's have to be the same ...) on all pc's at onc ethrough the network .. You have the network-install-option from mandrake-linux, but with this I suppose you can also distribute windows-iso-images. If you are interested in this, I can have a look again ...

I'm not sure how difficult ort easy to set this all up, but I suppose it takes some time ...

Edited by Michel

Guest brickwall

Thanks for the ideas....

I think for a start ....installing a printer server should be a laugh...

Being a small school I have only 3 servers running NT4.

The backup server also runs the printers but it takes a while to print the jobs out..

A logon script attaches the printers to the users.

:unsure:

I guess the sequence of events should be something like.....

Add the linux server to the NT4 domain using Samba?

Add the printers to the Linux server

Change the logon script to connect the users to the linux printers

but it only a guess :unsure:

If anybody can help ...I'll buy them a cup of tea

Maybe you can find help in the following thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...=10739&hl=samba

It could also be nice to install webmin ... and maybe the Mandrake control center can help you with this? I suppose you' ve heart of webmin (or using it?) or not? I would say .. give it a try ... Anyway, I suppose it's good to know it without extra tools.

I also found this thread about the print-as-pdf-server setup:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtop...1&st=&p=entry

Hopes these help you some ...

Michel