Dual-Booting Linux/WinXP

DOA

if you are going to go from scratch then it would better to partition only the space to be used by windows, install it, and leave the rest to mandrake to detect and partition the rest of the space on its own.

and linux can live anywhere in the harddrive that you want it to live in. its not a spoiled brat. ;-)

ciao!

Should I partition the drive, install WinXP, then install Linux? Does Linux need to be installed on the first 8GB of the hard drive too?

Yep, install XP first, creating a partition just for it, and then install Linux. One thing to be aware of though. XP may default to using the NTFS filesystem. Linux does not properly support NTFS. Therefore, if you want to share files between the two OSs, you will need to either install XP with an FAT32 filesystem or create a FAT32 partition to use for sharing files.

Note: Mandrake 9.0 can apparantly work with NTFS, however, until the vast majority of people say otherwise, I would avoid using this feature. Linux has been known to mangle ntfs partitions.

I think the most important recommendation is to purchase another drive and use that to mess around with linux. It's all too easy to snafu your partition table trying to put both OS's on the same drive. Especially if you don't know what you are doing. I'm not saying its impossible or even hard, but unless you got a good backup, its easier and safer to simply shell for a second used or new drive.

Two drives is the best and easiest method. Before I bought a second drive, however, I partitioned a 20gb drive pretty much down the middle, installed XP on the first partition, then MDK9 on the second. If you don't plan to access anything from the XP partition with Linux, then use NTFS. Although MDK9 is supposed to be able to access NTFS, I'm having troubles getting it to work - though that's probably because I'm just learning. :shock:

You should have little trouble unless you have hardware that's old or non-standard.

Good luck!

What I would do for dual boot on a single HD is to partition the HD into two:

Partition 1: NTFS

Partition 2: FAT32 (put Mandrake Linux here), it will leave at least 512MB of space which you can use for files to be shared with both WinXP/ML.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pinecone

I just installed mine. I gave winxp the first half of the 20Gig drive in NTFS. Then i installed mandrake 9 on the second half, and i have no problems, i can access the ntfs drive, but i cant change anything on it. it is read only.

Ok, I was wondering whether the automatic partitioner makes the remaining space an extended partition as per linux's definition of extended or windows... I don't know how to check after the fact though. The difference is that windows doesn't mess up the partition table when it encounters its own definition of an extended partition vs linuxs.

Guest mysecretshame

I've been reading this forum this evening and found this thread in particular very useful.

I have a Sony laptop running XP which I want to install Mandrake 9.0 on when my discs arrive (hopefully tomorrow).

The laptop was set up with two 15GB NTFS partitions. In XP I cleared out the second partition and then reformatted it as a FAT32 partition.

I intend to do a standard install, being virtually a complete Linux newbie.

Am I right in thinking that Mandrake will be able to work with this partition, or should I actually delete the partition entirely and leave Mandrake to find the free space on the disk?

Am I right in thinking that Mandrake will be able to work with this partition, or should I actually delete the partition entirely and leave Mandrake to find the free space on the disk?

the mandrake install will recognize it right, and you can use mandrake to clear out the second partition and set it up/reformat it the way it needs it. just make sure you don't have anything on that drive.

but...it may be better, for windows, if you just delete the partition. otherwise windows may complain, ya never know. also, it will make the process of partitioning things out for linux a lot easier when you get into the mandrake install-you can just tell it to use the empty space, and you won't have to guess which one is the one you want :)

Guest adamsjw2

FWIW,

I installed Win2k Server a few months ago. I formated a 2 gig NTFS paritition, in expectation of loading Linux. A few nights ago I installed Mandrake 9.0 on the remainder of the drive. I let the install wizard take care or the partitioning for Mandrake and it went without a hitch. ....if I could only get my damn modem working so easiliy!

Jim