Why not the need for AV in linux?

ChrisM

Hey all

Reading some of the posts in this BB it is clear that a significant number of experienced users don't use Anti Virus software.

Now I'm not challenging this, I just think as a Fresher in the community of Linux, I ought to know a basic grounding on this concept (I don't have AV at the mo - more to do with newbi struggles unpacking a file I must admit :lol: - my partner asked me the other day if we had AV, but I found it difficult to explain to her *why* we don't need one).

Can linux *really* be that safe - at the end of the day, its a programme developed by mere humans - surely its possible. And if we don't install AV, how would we know if we were at risk or not?

Yes, newbie woes, AV is a neccesity in M$ and so become part of the norm, and I guess its a transitional comfort blanket which I probably need to shake off, but for clarity, it would be nice to have that basic grounding of knowledge.

Ta.

I like answering this question:

Theoritically it's possible for a pc running Linux to be infected, but as far as I know, no Linux pc has ever been infected and I believe last I looked, there was something like 8 Linux viruses as opposed to 30,000 different viruses for Windows. Also, there are so many layers within Linux that it's extremley hard for a virus to penetrate your box. Only thing I use is a firewall since I am running adsl. No need for AV and good ridance. I've been using Linux without AV for 3 years and never been infected. Try that with Windows, lol.

Also, Windows make up a big chunk of the market share (95%). Viruses are writtten to cause as much havoc on business, people and infect as many pc's as possible and with Windows so easy to hack, writers concentrate on Windows, they don't even bother With Linux or Mac's.

Edited by spiedra

Thanks for the replies spinynorman and spiedra,

Well I feel more relaxed about this now - I was having problems installing some AV - so I've uninstalled it instead!

That's a really good article for any newbie to read and provides some reassurance for those migrating from M$ - somehting like this ought to be pinned; it also backs up entirely what spiedra confired.

Cheers for this guys.

Thanks spinynorman for letting us know about this security article. The article writer is one security EXPERT who should be taken notice of more often. Notice how he stamps on the statement made by a spokesman of a proprietary AV company. (Whose company is probably subversively involved in encouraging releases of Virus because it is good for business.)

I have made a copy of the article so I can show it to others to spread the CORRECT message about anti-virus security. :thanks:

Cheers. John.