Problem with FX5700

arshadmomen

I decided to put in an nvidia FX5700 video card to replace a GeForce MX200 on an Aopen 440BX mobo.

running PIII 733 (coppermine) with 256 MB Ram.

Under Mdk 9.2 (kernel- 2.4.22-28mdk) - X freezes within 3-4 secs after I start any 3d apps. In fact, the system freezes even when I ask for "glxinfo". No such problem arise when I only use 2d apps like say Mozilla/Galeon. It happens only when 3d is requested .

I am using the 1.0.6111 drivers - this also happened with the 1.0-6106 as well. No such problem occured

with the MX200.

What is weird that under Windows I can run 3d stuff like Quake/Quake2 without any glitch.

Can anyone help or even verify the problem. Or is it because of the ancient Mobo+CPU?

But, then the combo shouldn't work under windows as well !

:help:

A.

PS: I have tried the releases 6106 , 5336 - don't work. Neither do the options NvAGP =0 or 1 in XFConfig-4. Any

Edited by arshadmomen

OK - no response so far from the forum :sad:

So here's what I found - if I use the PCLinuxOS-7 from TexStar - the nvidia driver set

5336 works - I can even run ut2003 on my ancient hardware !

So the problem is with the kernel.

Are there any > 2.4.22-28mdk kernel(s) from Mandrake which run the nvidia drivers smoothly?

Thanks,

A.

Isn't the latest kernel for Mandrake 9.2 is 2.4.22-37mdk now? I mean.. it's been a while since I used Mandrake 9.2 but I still keep a mirror of Mandrake 9.2 update tree in my hard drive from July and the kernel then is 2.4.22-36mdk. That kernel runs the 6106 NVidia driver for my GF4Ti4200 perfectly.

Isn't the latest kernel for Mandrake 9.2 is 2.4.22-37mdk now? I mean.. it's been a while since I used Mandrake 9.2 but I still keep a mirror of Mandrake 9.2 update tree in my hard drive from July and the kernel then is 2.4.22-36mdk. That kernel runs the 6106 NVidia driver for my GF4Ti4200 perfectly.

Thanks for the response -

I didnot even suspect before attemptimg with PCLinuxOS that

the kernel might be the suspect. This is because my old GeForce MX200 was

working perfectly before sticking in the 5700 !

I'll try out the upgraded kernel and see how it goes.

After digging through the nvidia linux forum - it appears to me that this problem happens with the

FX series cards mostly.

Cheers,

A.