How to unistall old version of java

Linux_Fan

In the past I installed java runtime environment 1.3.1. It was a compressed file (no rmp). After decompressied it, I installed it succesfully. Now, I want to install a newer version of java, 1.4.1, and downloaded the rpm-file from sun's website.

Before, I run this rpm-file I want to uninstall 1.3.1. How do I do this?

Can the rpm-file of java 1.4.1 (JRE2) be installed on a Mandrake distribution (LM 8.0) or do I need a rpm-file specially build for Mandrake? When yes, where can I find it?

It was a compressed file (no rmp).
tar? In a terminal

cd /path/to/install_folder

make uninstall

then either

make distclean

or

make clean

Of course always read the README and INSTALL files to make sure that there's nothing special that needs to be done.

Can the rpm-file of java 1.4.1 (JRE2) be installed on a Mandrake distribution (LM 8.0)
Worked for me on 8.1 and 9.0. Just get it from sun java home site. DOlson has a tut but his site is still down :roll:

How did you do the original install for 1.3.1? I am assuming that you simply ran the .bin file and everything was installed? Or did you install it manually?

I know with the 1.4.1, if you download the tar file, you need to do the install manually -- this means that once you run the .bin file all it does is decompress the rest of the archive into a directory and you have to place that directory where you want and setup all the environment variables yourself.

If this is the case for 1.3.1, all you need to do is to remove the directory and reset the environment variabels.

Otherwise, find where everything was installed and look at the README file and the INSTALL file. There may even be an UNINSTALL file. These should answer all your questions.