Notebook WPC11 Issues

Guest Psykobrat

Guest Psykobrat

I just installed Mandrake 10 on my laptop and i'm trying to get my wireless card to work, but i can't get anything, i'm new with linux so if anybody can help, it would be greatly appreciated

moved from Hardware by LiquidZoo

First off, welcome to the board!

I recently helped someone get this exact card working in Linux (Mandrake). First thing, check out this FAQ and follow it exactly. If your card is the same version, every instruction, with the exception of the "bind " entry is the same. Your card uses the prism_cs module, so when you get to that put "bind prism_cs" in the config file.

If you run into any problems, post back. We'll be happy to help out

Guest Psykobrat

Here are some quick options i get from mandrake itself without going into anything, Prism2_plx, prism2_usb, prism54 (Intersil 802.11 Wireless LAN adapter), would any of those work? or would that just be to easy for my luck? :D

Guest Psykobrat

I'm looking in the Mandrakelinux Control Center 10, and for ethernetcard it shows my onboard BCM4401 100Base-T (which works) and it also shows RTL8180 Realtek RTL8180 Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI NIC

Vendor Realtek Semiconductor

Bus:PCI

Bus identification:10ex:8180:1737:19

Location on the bus: 3:0:0

Description: RTL8180 Realtek RTL8180 Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI NIC

Module: (red) unknown

Media class: NETWORK_ETHERNET

since it finds it, do i still need to do all that stuff?

When i look at the led's on the card, the power light is on, but the Link light is not

First off, welcome to the board!

I recently helped someone get this exact card working in Linux (Mandrake).  First thing, check out this FAQ and follow it exactly.  If your card is the same version, every instruction, with the exception of the "bind " entry is the same.  Your card uses the prism_cs module, so when you get to that put "bind prism_cs" in the config file.

If you run into any problems, post back.  We'll be happy to help out

LOL :lol2: that person was me! :cheeky:

I think by chipset he means what version, in my case my WPC11 card was version 3.

-Luis

Guest Psykobrat

The card I have is Version 4, and i'm on a dell notebook (inspiron 1100) i don't know if that makes a difference.

when i type /sbin/cardctl ident it just says Socket 0: No product info available

Now, when i go into Configure - PCMCIA it says

Card 0: Empty

Card 1: Version 1.4

I only have 1 PCMCIA slot, is it somehow trying to read a slot thats not that, and thats why it's not working?

I've tried everything i could from just about every site i could find with anything relating to the WPC11, would it be easier if i just got an orinoco card or something else that maybe linux will already have preloaded so i don't have to go through this? On the site of all the cards that work, it has mine listed, but i just don't know what to do, if somebody could really go through step by step with me, that would be great. you can post here or IM me on AIM at FindinOldFriendz. Thanks for all the help!

Guest Psykobrat

For some reason when i have to type all the

/make

/make install

and all that stuff, i get some errors... so i try to stick to RPMs... i searched the web for NDISWRAPPER specificly made for Mandrake10 found one that was RPM, and tried to put it in, i never got any errors... but no ndiswrapper command works... and when i search ndiswrapper in RPMdrake 10.0 (software installed) i find ndiswrapper-0.4-1mdk but still can't use the commands...if i can just get that to work, i think i can get this card to work...