XFCE

LDC

It is lightweight. It is low on candy but also very high on system performance. It is a pleasure to work with if you just want to 'get the job done'. Apart from that, the latest plugins for XFCE extend the functionality of XFCE so much that you could as well call it XFDE (XF desktop environment :) ). It is simple and clean and low on resources... XFCE is very nice, it certainly could not hurt trying it out :)

fast, easy to use, looks nice (with all those gtk-themes) and loads your apps in a hurry. very useful alternative desktop. i can only recommend it... the only downside (although it can be seen as a big plus) is that you have to add the apps you need for work to the panel. there is only a basic selection available. nonethless: try it! :)

I am using it now and have been using it full time for a month now. I was previously using Flux and it's a very good DE/WM. Looks awsome with gdesklets running. As for the icons, I have mine on the gdesklets startup bar. No need for all those messy icons on the desktop. It's also highly configurable. It supports Gnome panel even.

Xfce

Edited by spiedra

After KDE I want to install Xfce. But I'm not see trough the guide on the home page.

Can anyone explain, which rpm (yes, I want packets) should I download for Mandrake 10 and how to install Xcfe?

Thanks, indeed.

What are this? Especially which  setup?

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

It's a site that helps you set up urpmi-sources. Urpmi-sources it FTP-sites that you use to install software.

nonono... :) just go to the easyurpmi site and follow the instructions given there. you can't do anything wrong. easyurpmi will tell you what needs to be written in the console in order to update your system. you can add the commands from the browser window to the open console via copy&paste.

however, don't forget to switch to root in console (type su, then root password, then start copy&paste from browser to console).

well, if you have set up your urpmi-mirrors, as described above, you open the console, log in as root again and type "urpmi -a xfce" and urpmi will take care of the rest of the installation. if yo don't want to work with the console, you can open the mandrake control center ("configure my computer", go to the software section ->install software and do a search for "xfce". then check the boxes of the rpms you want to install and you are done. :D