No sound at all under MDK 9.2

christophe_ca

Hi everyone!

I recently installed MDK 9.2 on a PC equipped with sound blaster live! I have no sound. The card is working fine under WinMe. I tried to unmute every channel with aumix and alsamixergui: it didn't work. arts is lauched at boot time and I'm using alsa. I jacked the volume of every channel with kmix and alsamixgui. I don't know what else I could do. When I type alsaconf I get:

device_mode int, description "Device file permission mask for devfs."

which: no dialog in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin)

which: no whiptail in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin)

Error, dialog or whiptail not found.

Thanks for your help

Christophe :thanks:

Edited by christophe_ca

Look in the Mandrake Control Center (MCC), under hardware, hardware, soundcard (disclaimer: translated from Dutch so actual wording may be different) what driver is being used. Make sure it's an alsa driver if you want to use alsa. However the default sound architecture for kernels 2.4xxx (which comes with Mandrake 9.1) is OSS. So maybe you could better use the OSS driver. Use the config options to experiment with the settings. Make sure you have closed any sound app (including apps like kmix in the system tray) while you do that.

Good luck.