Sound problem with MDK 10.0 official download

crazyspongebob

I have an AMD Athlon 800 Mhz box for my family of 4 to use loading with Mandrake 10.0 official download. Everyone has a username to log into the box. Everything works fine other than the sound. I have an es1371 sound card, and Mandrake 10 detects the card fine. The problem is after one user logs in and out of the box the next person does not have sound. I go in to /dev/sound and issue ls -al. It is shown that the dsp, midi, and mixer character files are still under the control of the person already logged out of the box.

I have tried to add all users into audio group but no use.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

:thanks:

Guest Aircobra

I had exactly the same problem just a few days ago. If you get a message saying something about permissions on /dev/dsp, try this:

chmod 666 /dev/sound/dsp

/chmod 666 /dev/sound/mixer

If it doesn't work, perhaps you'd best set the original permissions back.

I think this is a bug
have you updated your system already with all the latest patches? if not, google for easyurpmi, set up the mirrors and update it. :)

I have used Mandrake Update GUI and checked all three options (Security updates, Bugfixes updates, and Normal updates). Aircobra's solution is only temporary since when I restart the box, the problem is back.

Thanks

:wall:

go to easyrupmi and set up new mirrors. it will tell you exactly how to do it. idiot-proof. :D

i am sure that there will be a patch for your problem

I added the contrib, main, and updates along with the 3 CDs and updates media added by MandrakeUpdate. I ran MandrakeUpdate afterward, but the update list was empty. The problem persists.

Thanks.

As root, run userdrake and add the problem user to the sound group.

All users of this box are in the "audio" group, and I wonder if there is other groups that a user needs to be part of so that this problem can be resolved. It is just that whoever first logs into the box has the control over the sound device. I wonder if I write a script with the chmod command within each user startup so that the devices can get released after that user logs out.

Thanks.