Cannot connect to internet w/ 3Com Eth. & MDK

Guest neokirkegaard

Guest neokirkegaard

I have been learning as much as I can about Linux for a while and I love it. Just bought a new computer with the following hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+

Leadtek NVidia FX5700Ultra 128MB GDDR3

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM HD

512MB Geil Value Series DDR

Abit K8T800 uGuru mobo

3Com Ethernet adapter

And everything works fabulous. Except I can't connect to the internet with Mandrake 9.2 or 10.0. There is a specific driver for my ethernet card in Mandrake, and it finds it, and assigns eth0 to the card. But it cannot obtain an IP address from my network. We have a high speed network (not DSL, a partial T1, we live in BFE), that gets a peak of 390k/s if the banwidth is open. Again, Linux finds the card, it just can't obtain an IP. I went through the setup and that did not help. I must mention that it worked perfectly on my previous computer, using the same ethernet card, in Mandrake 9.2. But on my old computer, Mandrake 10.0 gave me the exact same problem. My motherboard has a built-in gigabit ethernet adapter which we disabled to try the 3Com card. Windows (shudder) has worked with both ethernet adapters with absolutely no problem. I am lost and hoping someone can assist. If you need any more details I am more than happy to submit.

Regards, and I appreciate the time you have taken to read this!