Printer is numbers mad!!

Peppercorn

I have just installed a repaired printer a Epson Colour Stylus 850. It prints OK with letters or writing of any kind, but tonight I tried to print a photo from Gimp and all I got pages and pages of numbers, letters and basic gobbledegook!!!

There seems so many ways of setting up the printer in mdk 10 I am getting confused. You can use Hardware Drake, Webmin, or KDE. Do they work in parallel with eachother or are they totally disconnected with eachother?

I have it set up using the Cups driver in Hardware Drake. In Kde Printer config it says that it uses the Cups driver too but also the S. co. 850 Gimp-print-ijs under driver Settings in KDE.

It's all confusing but the bottom line is I want to be able to print photos from a printer that is well designed to do just that.

Can anyone steer me into some type of clear direction??

Thanks

Ah yeah.. the problem is that GIMP has its own printer driver, so if you are just clicking print, it will screw up your printing. I know this because I just had the same problem yesterday. I have to tell GIMP to use kprinter in order to print correctly. This is how I did it:

1. In the Print Window, create a new printer, name it kprinter

2. Select the new printer then press Setup Printer. Under Command: put kprinter

3. Press Save settings, then press Print

4. If all goes well, kprinter will appear. Select your printer here and then press print.

Good luck.