I just installed - what next?

Gowator

Guest ruddiger

I'm completely new to linux, but for better or for worse I've installed already a few distros and a couple of times...

After the installation I like to dedicate the next couple of hours (or days sometimes) to the general configuration, fine tunning and security settings.

I am particularly concerned about the security issue, but also working in an enviroment that is nice is important!

Rute is a great book, Would be nice to have a more up to date version of it!

• 7 months later...
tar cvf /etc orig_etc.tar

should make a file in /root called orig_etc.tar (if you like you can compress this with bzip2 orig_etc.tar

Sounded like a good Idea , so when I tried it ,my terminal reponded with

tar: /etc: Cannot open: Is a directory

tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I even cut and pasted from your post to see if it was an operator error with syntax and recieved the same message

Any idea as to what may have gone wrong , like what directory I should have been in when or something.

Running mandrake 10 community

Tuxxer

• 6 months later...
Tymestream wrote (on Oct 16 2004) "that rute guide is excellent too and in true open source tradition - free" I can't find out how to get a free copy, however (or even an unfree one :huh: ). Can anyone help? Thanks.

There are lots of copies online. Here's one: linux.wombatsweb.com/rute/rute.html. ;)