Questions about IceWM

MottS

I'm using IceWM because it is fast like hell. I have 2 questions that maybe one of you figured out.

1) It there an autostart directory like in KDE? XTerm keep starting when I startx icewm and it really bug me. Also, I'd like to add Xscreensaver and GKrellm to that file (if it exist) so that these two app start when I startx icewm.

2) I've been able to separate the main bar (the one with the 'start' menu) from the taskbar. Now I have one bar with the 'start' menu and icons and the other with my opened apps. Is there a way to put the bar with the 'start' menu on top of the screen and the taskbar at the bottom. Now they are both on top and I don't really like it.

Thx for reading..

MOttS

Mine does, too.  But that's because it's set up to do that in my $HOME/.xinitrc file  :) !!

Yours does what? And how did you do that (the what.. )

And I don't have a .xinitrc file in my $HOME. What's it for ?

Guest jglen490

I don't do autostart into X, so thus I have a .xinitrc file with my distro (Mandrake 8.2). Not every distro handles that part the same, necessarily. This file can be used for a variety of things, but mostly to start programs that you want to run with your X window environment, as well as starting your wm/GUI/desktop.

ok so I made a file called .xinitrc in my $HOME with the following lines in it:

gkrellm &

screensaver -nosplash &

Then I typed 'startx icewm' .. but X didn't start at all. :-(

So I removed it and now X starts no prob...... mistery

Also, how come XTERM is always started when I startx icewm? could I just find the file where xterm is teached to start, remove XTERM from there and add gkrellm and xscreensaver? .. but where is that file :?:

Anything else?

Thx guys !!

MOttS

OK .. problem solved. I figured out that we have to write which WM we want to start and just type 'startx' instead. Here is my new .xinitrc file

gkrellm &

xscreensaver -nosplash &

icewm

Now XTERM doesn't start and gkreallm and xscreensaver are... exactly as I wanted it. Thanks guys!!!!!!!

Now, second prob --> I've been able to separate the main bar (the one with the 'start' menu) from the taskbar. Now I have one bar with the 'start' menu and icons and the other with my opened apps. Is there a way to put the bar with the 'start' menu on top of the screen and the taskbar at the bottom. Now they are both on top and I don't really like it.

:roll: :roll:

MOttS

[EDIT] NEVER MIND :wink: YOU GOT IT!

How did you create it? I just copy an startup or init script and take out what was in it except, of course

#!/bin/bash

try startx without icewm

Could it be that icewm is like kde and won't use an .xinitrc?

Have you rpm -ql icewm to try and locate a possible startup file, and look for and xterm entry in one of the files listed?

In case anyone is interested, here's what I wrote on old club-nihil board:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about IceWM specifically. Some time ago, I tried to find a WM-agnostic way to start programs at WM (Window Manager) start-up. I found none, so (that's what's great in Linux) I implemented it myself. Here's how using the GDM login manager:

Open a terminal window and su to root:

$ su - root

Password: ....enter root password....

#

Then, as root, edit this file: /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/default

To the end of this file, add the following lines:

if [ -x /home/$USER/.Xclients ]; then

su - $USER -c /home/$USER/.Xclients

fi

Now, any user on your system has the ability to create an executable .Xclients script file in their home-directory, in which they put all commands they want to be started at WM startup.

If you don't use GDM, I'm sure there is a way to do something similar with the login manager you use (eg: KDM).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yves.

Guest jglen490
Could it be that icewm is like kde and won't use an .xinitrc?

Actually, KDE can use .xinitrc. Any wm/GUI/DE can use .xinitrc. I have used it in the past with KDE, when not autostarting. As is the case throughout Linux, there is more than one way to get a job started/done. Of course, some may be better than others :D !!

The problem is that .xinitrc is not read if you start your session from the display manager (KDM, GDM), ie: runlevel 5.

.xinitrc is only read when you start your session from the console, with the startx or xinit command.

Yves.

xinitrc is only read when you start your session from the console, with the startx or xinit command.

I've used an ~/.xinitrc and autostart into X with fluxbox in ML8.1 and ML9.0 without any problems.
So, is this being done with the xinit command via autostart?

I've used an ~/.xinitrc and autostart into X with fluxbox in ML8.1 and ML9.0 without any problems.
So, is this being done with the xinit command via autostart?
:? I don't know, I never used autologin (same as autostart?). Also, I use Mdk8.1, and such init script can greatly change from version to version.

Yves.