My sound card doesn`t work

Guest adrian15

Guest adrian15

:help: Hello.

I have buy a CD magazine with Mandrake linux 10.0 on it (3 CD). it works perfect except my modem(intel ham data fax voice modem) and my sound card(creative vibra). What to do?

:cry:

hi adrian and welcome aboard :)

did you check your sound is not muted? open kmixer and take a look (it is usually muted by default). also try a different sound architecture, if you sound is not muted but you still can't hear a thing. for this, go to "configure my desktop" -> sound -> sound system, open the tab "hardware" and select either ALSA, OSS or Autodetect. (ALSA should usually work).

good luck :thumbs:

edit: if none of this works, please give us more info on your soundcard. looking in mandrake-control-center (configure my computer), hardware section you should find more info, e.g if you card is detected.

Edited by arctic

Guest adrian15

:help:

Hello.

i`m sure that my sound card isn`t instaled on my computer. As a said before my sound card is Creative Vibra. I`m very pleased of this version of linux but i`m sad because my sound card doesn`t work. Can u point me a good driver that works with Kernel 2.6.3?

Sorry, i forgot. Now i`m at a internet club because my modem(Intel Ham data fax voice modem) doesn`t work. I have a driver on a floopy disk but that driver doesn`t work with Kernel 2.6.3.

Hope u can help me with my nasty problem.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Guest adrian15

Ok .. i don`t know .. if is older then ISA Soundblaster 16.

I`ve tryed sndconfig .. but i have gived a error. maby if i type "urpmi sndconfig" ir will work. ok tnks ...

i will try ...

bye

if you get error messages from your comp, please post them in here and try to be as precise as possible, because the error messages are a great help when trying to find a solution. ;)

Guest adrian15

:lol2: Hello,

i`ve made the sound card :

urpmi sndconfig

sndconfig

And it worked.

Now .. how can i make my modem work? Intel ham data fax voice modem.

tnks :) bye bye

i don`t have the driver for my modem.

byebye

Guest adrian15

Hello,

I have the driver for my modem but it needs an older kernel version(4.2).

How can i change my kernel?

If i change my kernel version it will afect my other hardware drivers?

Byebye

:thanks:

Guest Antonius

Hi!

Sorry for having to bump this thread, but i'm having problems with my soundcard.

I installed Mandrake 10.0 official into my laptop (IBM thinkpad 380Z), everything else was

detected fine except soundcard. In the installation it told me to run sndconfig after installing.

So, after installing i got to the command prompt and logged in as root and ran sndconfig, but it doesnt

detect any devices so i had to go and select my soundcard from the list manually. The soundcard is

cs4232 (crystal sound). I've tried all available crystal sound drivers and none of them works! After a

failed testing attempt it gives me errors: "an error ocurred opening /dev/audio" and "sox: Can't open

output file '/dev/dsp' : permission denied"

Thanks in advance.