Linux Newbie, Sound card not working

RyanWw

Yes it's helpfull :).... I have googled a bit with these error messages and various things can be the problem.

1. Some oss (a differnet sound architecture) modules are loaded (http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg13884.html)

2. PnP in your bios is enabled (can't find the link)

3. The wrong driver is being used. You said there were 2 that you saw listed? Can you try the other one.

I have to go now. It's getting late here but I'll try get back to it tomorrow. In the meantime have fun... :D

Edited by devries

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was frustrated

I have tried every suggestion you gave me devries. I check the PNP os option in the bios. It was set to no. I deleted the OSS modules ac97_codec.gz.tar and via82cxxx_audio.gz.tar and set the system to use ALSA. I've tried both snd-via822 and via82cxxx_audio drivers. With snd-via822 I can get he alsa service to run, but I still can't open alsamixergui or hear any sounds whatsoever. With via82cxx_audio I get that error I was getting before.

Edited by RyanWw

Well everything checked and it still doesn't work. I'm beginning to understand your feelings about Linux (well maybe not all of 'm) :)

Anyway. because there is no obvious cause for your problem and you had problems with the installation and the updates it could be something more general (or maybe a bug). I think the best thing to do now is to install Mandrake again (when I started out with Mandrake I had to install it 2 or 3 times because I had broken things). Just do a clean install, the updates and hopefully that will do the trick (it's not a hardware problem right?)

Something else:

ac97_codec.gz.tar and via82cxxx_audio.gz.tarare not modules but 'containers' with the sourcecode for the modules. In Mandrake there is no need for that. All modules come with the installation so there is no need to build those yourself.

Good luck.

Hey Devries. I was starting to think you gave up on me. I just did another post to try and get someone else to look at my problem. I will try a re-install in a little bit. For now, i'm just going to wait a bit longer to see if anyone else has another suggestion for me. Thought I do appreciate your advice and help. If I don't hear from anyone within the next 10 to 20 mins i'll go ahead and try a reinstall.

Thanks for all your help devries, I appreciate the time and effort you did on this issue. Thanks again.

Let's try a longshot and use the alsa configure tool (you have installed alsa-utils again, else do first urpmi alsa-utils)

Open a konsole, log in as root, and give alsaconf.

Interesting problem you have :D

<edit> sorry for the late reply, we were having dinner.

Edited by devries

ok, I went into the alsaconf, while it was looking for sound cards it came up with nothing and then exited. There is a post that sound familier that was just posted a little bit ago. The /dev/dsp thing. I also do not have a /dev/dsp directory.

The /dev/dsp is a link to /dev/sound/dsp. It's created by the module (driver). Since the module isn't being loaded (in windows you would say: the driver isn't installed) no /dev/dsp is created.. So when we get the driver to load, the /dev/dsp will be there. When the driver is loaded and there is no /dev/dsp and there is no sound then you can try making it by hand.

It can't detect the soundcard...... Can you post the output of lspci (you probably first need to do urpmi lspci)

[root@localhost ryan]# lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266 Host Bridge

00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]

00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)

00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)

00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)

00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)

00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge

00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV280 [Radeon 9200] (rev 01)

01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5941 (rev 01)