Linux Newbie, Sound card not working

RyanWw

Hey everyone. I would appreciate any help on this issue i'm having.

I just finished working with my previous issue in the installation section, so you may want to check that out too.

Anywho, I've been having a major issue with my sound in Mandrake 10.0. Everything is now installed and working properly EXCEPT for the soundcard.

I have had no sound whatsoever since I first booted up Mandrake yesturday. (Though it works fine in WinXP). My sound card (onBoard Via VT9233 Ac '97) was detected and installed fine during installation. It shows up in Harddrake. I do get an error message when I first boot into Mandrake.

Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

I'm not sure what exactly this means, but I have looked in /dev/dsp and I see nothing in it. I've also looked in /dev/sound/dsp and found nothing. I have searched through a bunch of previous posts on this forum but I can't understand most of them.

Thanks for you help.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me help you with this one to :).

With sound there are a few things that can go wrong. 1. ALSA is not working, 2 the wrong driver is loaded, 3. sound is muted 4. miscellanious stuff.

Let's start with 1. Look in the MCC-->system-->services if alsa is started (alsa is basic (kernel stuff) sound architecture). Make sure every 'sound' app is closed (including kmix in the systray) and try start/stopping alsa.

2 the driver, load it with the MCC-->hardware-->hardware (I googled for your onboard sound. Couldn't find anything. Are you sure that's the correct name? Could it be VT8233?? the module (module=same as driver in windows) would be snd-via82xx )

3. We'll get to that later

Good luck

Edited by devries

Hi again devries. (you're like my own personal helper monkey :lol2:)

I really do appreciate the help.

Anywho, I check out the "alsa" in services. It's not running, I closed all audio programs. I clicked on start and it says "ALSA driver isn't running".

Sorry, I made a typo, it's VT8233

Thanks.

Sorry about the long wait. My computer had shutdown by itself and KDE reset the font to the crappy spaced sans, which is hard to read for me.

Anywho, I managed to get into the log using the konsole with root, like you told me too. I got this:

Aug 24 16:29:28 localhost alsa: succeeded

Aug 24 16:29:31 localhost alsactl: alsactl: load_state:1134:

Aug 24 16:29:31 localhost alsactl: No soundcards found...

Aug 24 16:29:31 localhost sound: Setting mixer settings failed

Hope that helps.