Internet Sharing

kyzzar

That depends...

The easy way is to use the Connection Sharing Wizard in Mandrake Control Center. If you'd prefer the "harder" way, let us know and we'll provide the necessary info. Note that the harder way is more likely to work.

im am also having the same problem , and a few others as well with samba, but anyway.

i enabled internetconnection sharing through the wizard in the contorl panel/MMC.

i disabled the firewall because i knew it would cause me problems, and the win xp computer (192.168.0.2) can not browes the web at all.

and yes i also read the how-to's yet still no ICS, my linux box is mandrake 10.

yesh the computers can ping each other and ive got samba half working, the windows box can see the files ive shared on linux,

linux can see the windows box, and the workgroup name, how ever it thinks that nothing is shared(but there is).

im not to woried about the SAMBA problems right now, if any one can shed some light on the internet connection shareing theat would be good,

thanks heaps :D

Have a look at the sticky posts at the top of the networking forum - there is some useful info there, including links to my howto.

We also need more info - what kind of connection are you trying to share? dial-up? DSL? cable?

Also how are you trying to share? NAT or with a proxy?

If you are trying to share using nAT (network address translation) then disabling your firewall will also disable connection sharing...

Forget Samba for the minute - you do not need it for sharing an internet connection - Samba is for file sharing.

I recommend you set up sharing manually (see the sticky posts - it's really not that difficult, honest).

Chris

You can find the howto here - the link is in the networking sticky posts: http://web.onetel.net.uk/~showerail/ics_setup.html

That will set up your Mandrake box.

The windows box should then use the mdk box as a gateway, and have your ISPs DNS server IP address in the config.

Let us know how you get on!

Chris

flightcrank: You should really start another thread - having 2 (albeit similar) problems in a single thread may confuse others.

You can leave your external interface with dhcp if it works OK.

Your internal interface needs to be on another subnet - see the ICS howto for hints, then:

(Snipped from an earlier post)

Couple of things you need to have to share an internet connection under linux:

The file /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward should contain 1

Masquerading must be set up for your LAN in iptables - check with iptables -nL -t nat

Should contain something like this:

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

target prot opt source destination

MASQUERADE all -- 192.168.0.0/24 0.0.0.0/0

This can be achieved with this command:

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING 1 -o eth0 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0/0 -j MASQUERADE

(Your network address/interface may vary)

Then, as long as your firewall is not blocking anything (read with iptables -nvL) internet connection sharing should work...

---snip---

The connands can be put at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local to make them permanent.

If you need further help, please post the output of the commands/contents of files listed at the end of the howto. If we have detail (IP addressing scheme, how the computers are connected, what already works etc) we can give you a more precise answer.

Chris

Hi all

I got my ICS working on all the clients (5 of them) except the clients still cannot connect to my ISP's mail server. All other Internet services works. Any suggestions?

Hi all

I got my ICS working on all the clients (5 of them) except the clients still cannot connect to my ISP's mail server. All other Internet services works. Any suggestions?

You can find the howto here - the link is in the networking sticky posts: http://web.onetel.net.uk/~showerail/ics_setup.html

That will set up your Mandrake box.

The windows box should then use the mdk box as a gateway, and have your ISPs DNS server IP address in the config.

Let us know how you get on!

Chris

Hello Streeter,

I have only DSL Modem but i dont know if it is a router

And the ISP they give me 1 Static IP like this : 210.14.34..52 and the my gateway is 210.14.34.49

So how can i set the 192.168.1.2 to the eth0. If my IP is 210.XX.XX.XX

I want to setup the proxy in one computer but two lan card

My setup right now my first lan card I put that IP 210.xx.xx.xx and the second lan card should be 192.168.1.1

Thanks

Kyzzar