Using Samba with MDK 9.0 and Windows 2000

Guest larry

I've been trying to set up Samba to enable me to access MDK 9.0 from Win 2k, and having no luck. :cry:

My boxes are set up with fixed IP addresses, using a D-Link DI-707 firewall/router. When I bring up IE6 on the Windows machine and type in the fixed address of the MDK box, the Apache welcome screen comes up, which is fine. However, nothing shows up in Windows Network Neighborhood. Does anyone have experience using Samba with Win 2K?

Thanks for any help,

Larry

Guest PegasusMD

In order for Mandrake server to show up in Network Nieghborhood you need to have the Samba server either register with a network wins server or act as a wins server.

Michael Delessio

Thanks for the response, Michael. I'm using Webmin to configure Samba, and last night I clicked on the option to "Be a Wins server" in the Windows Networking Options screen. I saved the configuration and restarted Samba but still nothing showed up in Windows. I'm sure there's something I am not doing correctly but I can't figure out what it is.

Larry

Take a look at those::

With this post you'll have to right clic the network neiboohood and select 'map a network driver' ... read it..

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...7177&highlight= (Check the fourth post)

Never tried this one but it seems ok .. lol

http://www.tweakhound.com/mdk9net.htm

Hope this work for you..

MOttS

EDIT : The link for tweakhound page was broken .. I fix it. sorry.

Guest TweakHound

MottS,

I wrote that for Newbies like myself. My goal was to keep them away from command line/terminal windows. For anyone that has been using linux for a while it has more steps than you need (I wanted to include all the tools that could be of use later). It is also XP specific as XP has SMB "issues" but perhaps should work for W2K, I haven't tested it.

I would recommend this guide:

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html

Very good and it addresses the XP issues too.

Thanks for your help everyone. It's working now and looks great. :D

The problem was on the Windows side, not Samba. Windows networking was not set up properly. :oops: The Client Server and File Sharing software were not installed and once I activated them, the MDK box came right up in Network Neighborhood. Now I'm running a mail server supporting several of my domains on the MDK box and feeding the mail to Outlook Express under Windows. Works like a charm.

This BBS and the people who participate are awesome. Sure beats the "support" provided by commercial software. :wink:

Great job, guys! And thanks Motts for providing so much useful information.

Larry