home network + adsl

mte

Hello,

I was reading the forums around but couldn't find anything about this..

I have a linux pc and a winxp pc each with one network card connected to switch and from switch to adsl modem. While I can connect to net with both at the same time, I don't know how to establish also a network connection between the 2 pcs. I've configured samba but in konqueror if I type smb:/ it says there's no workgroup on the network. Somewhere I read that if I want to access internet I must not type a fixed ip in mandrake wizards. If I add a new LAN connection in mcc the adsl stops working.. What am I missing? Where to start? What to read? (the network howto's are too complicated for me as I have linux for 3 days now..)

thanks for any info,

Matej

You have to check how is your router set up. By default it will share ip's with dhcp. You have to turn this off. Check your ISP's DNS's. Set up ypur computer to get the IP manualy. Give him (her :D ) an IP something like 192.168.0.1, set up your dns servers what you got from the router and set gateway to your raouter IP. Now you have LAN and internet. Sorry my bad language.

Thanks but what if I don't have a router? Just 2 pc's into a switch and from switch to adsl modem. I can have two simultanous connections then. So I have to have pppoe support in linux, too, in addition to lan configuration..that's the problem..

thanks again,

matej

I was having a problem connecting my router.

Within configure internet conenction I confgured for LAN (not adsl).

In network sharing, it asks for which device is connected to internet, and automatically suggests pppoe. Following default, and clicking the 'next' button to move on with the process, the damn wizard then told me no devices were installed - even though it was recognised in MCC/Hardware. I would reconfig anyway, and the same problem just kept on occuring. I was in this constant loop.

Anyway, I overcome this by realising that maybe I should enter PPP+ (the adsl modem router directly conencts to the net ) so, in network sharing, where it suggests pppoe, I simply replaced by ppp+.

Clicking 'next' to go to the next screen, told me I had to use pppoe! and asked if it should auto config - my respnse was yes, of course, and I just followed the rest of the auto defaults and hey presto I was connected.

(also, remember to configure your LAN in the wizard, and activate. I needed DCHP and it kept dropping to static).

I share internet connection with 3 MDK 9.2 and 1 dirty M$ ME (have you used the windows wizard to share connection - I did and it connected straight away).

Maybe you need to config the modem?

Hmm the difference is that I don't have a router so each pc has to know how to connect to pppoe by itself. The problem is that ppp0 and eth0 are somehow related because if I just switch to static local ip in eth0, ppp0 doesn't work because my adsl has a dynamic ip. This would be easy to solve if I had 2 lan cards in this pc but I have a barebone pc so this is not possible. AND under winxp pppoe and lan lived together happily so forget about routers and connection sharing. So what I need is to convince my pc to use 2 ip's: 192.168.0.2 and an external wan ip, everything with ONE network card.

By the way, I don't need to configure modem because I can't do it since it's connected to pcs with a lan cable only and it doesn't have a UI.

Thanks,

Matej

In network sharing, it asks for which device is connected to internet, and automatically suggests pppoe. Following default, and clicking the 'next' button to move on with the process, the damn wizard then told me no devices were installed - even though it was recognised in MCC/Hardware. I would reconfig anyway, and the same problem just kept on occuring. I was in this constant loop.

Anyway, I overcome this by realising that maybe I should enter PPP+ (the adsl modem router directly conencts to the net ) so, in network sharing, where it suggests pppoe, I simply replaced by ppp+

Anyway, I overcome this by realising that maybe I should enter PPP+ (the adsl modem router directly conencts to the net ) so, in network sharing, where it suggests pppoe, I simply replaced by ppp+

Doh! apologies fro any confusion, where I write ppoe I actually meant eth0.