Firestarter + KDE = Good or Bad ?

jmr0311

I read in their website that this application is developed; I think for GNOME. Sorry if I misinterpreted wrongly. But can you used Firestarter linux firewall in a system running KDE as desktop manager. How about, if you are in a windows manager like Fluxbox ? Is this firewall a good choice to use as another layer of defense against intrusions.

Javi

You can run any Gnome application in KDE as long as you have installed the Gnome libs. Use urpm when you installi the Gnome app and it will take care of any dependency.

I don't know if it's a good firewall but I think an hardware firewall is much better. Why not buy a cheap router (maybe E30/40) and you'll sleep much saver.

Good luck

Buy a Cheap linksys hardware router.. they can be bought for 50 dollars at walmart. Even less money if you buy them online...

Then use IPtables to secure your port forwarding... (like only allowing the IP block(s) from work to access the port your ssh server runs on.)

Another good program to run for security sake is PortSentry.

Which one should I install the latest RPM version of Firestarter 0.9.3 or use the one I get through MDK control center which is 0.9.2-6mdk. The newest version has quite a few improvements. I do posses a 2Wire router on my system I just want another tool like Firestarter that I can use to monitor in real time any intrusion or attempts. How can I determine if I posses all the Gnome libraries in my system.

Javi

Edited by jmr0311

I did the installation of Firestarter 0.9.3 following the instructions in their website, everything went flawless. Now, I want to run Firestarter when I'm login into Fluxbox. I add this instruction ( firestarter & ) to my startup file for fluxbox, but when I load into fluxbox the firewall firestarter doesn't start until I enter my root password on the little pop-up window that appears. Do you guys know if there is any switch or anything I can add to this instruction ( firestarter & ) that will allow the application to start automatically without asking me for the root password.

Javi

Edited by jmr0311

How can you make Firestarter run as a service. I went to the website of firestarter and it says this;

An frequently asked question is, what is the state of the firewall when not running the Firestarter program? The answer is that it depends. If you installed the Firestarter from RPM or Deb packages the firewall will be running all the time (dial-up users excluded), even after a reboot. In these cases the firewall is running as a service and can be manipulated using the standard Linux system service and runlevel management tools.

I did the installation using the RPM package, then I went to MDK control center>System>Services but I don't see firestarter as one of the services. Am I missing something or else ? And by the way thank you guys for your comments, I greatly appreciate them.

Javi

Edited by jmr0311