Which software should I use ?

MottS

HI all !!

I'm going out of town during christmas and I'd like to be able to access my files. I'm going where they uses an old P233 with Win95 :lol: :lol: :lol:

My computer is always on the net for my web page and I'm connected using adsl (down=128KB/s, Up=16KB/s). My parent's computer is connected to the net with a cable company .. faster than my adsl connection.

I have think to a couple of choises to remotly access my desktop/files. Tell me what you think about that plez.

1) TightVNC: I could start a vnc session before to leave home and remotly connect to it with IE (if Win95 supports JAVA :lol: :lol: ). But AFAIK, only the password is encripted and once the session is opened, all the datas are sent in plain text file .. not really secur. Also, TightVNC is slow. However I could really access my computer in the real sense.. I mean I could see the desktop, check my mails from Evolution, check some other stuff.. even work on my webpage and update some stuff. lol

2) FTP: I could configure ProFTPd so that I could access my $HOME directory... with my username and password of course. Not an anonymous site. However, I could not access the rest of the system, neither 'administrate' my system. Is it secur enough ?

3) Webmin: I could connect to my computer from port 10000 via a secured shell (https). This is the most secure solution. However I'm not really used to Webmin. There is tons of options and I'm not used to them.

Do you guys have comments or suggestion of other methods?

Thx

MOttS

Well,

if i was you, I will be using FTP

but I don't know what kind of connection

the remote PC have. However my choice will be

FTP. work on your file and send it back...

Also you can open an ssh client, server,

Daniel

Daniel.. you avatar rocks !!! :lol: :lol:

I would use ssh. This would give you complete control over your machine and if you need anything else, you can simply install it.

Which option is that ? TightVNC, FTP, Webmin or ?

Ok so after thinking about that, I think I'm going to vote for the TightVCN option WITH ssh. Anyway my parents don't have any ftp browser and we can't type ftp://blablabla just like in Konqueror with IE... lol. Ok so here is what I found.

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/secure/sssh5.html#vnc

Did anyone ever try it ?

Also, how could I make sure the datas are sent encrypted via ssh ? ... I mean, how can I make sure the connection is secured or that I use ssh ?

Thx for the reply !!

MOttS

ok guys .. newbies question here:

How does that works ? I did what is specified to do from the above web site but I get:

[root@localhost gd]# ssh -C -L 5902:192.168.1.250:5901 192.168.1.250 tail -f /etc/motd 

ssh: connect to address 192.168.1.250 port 22: Connection refused

Here, 192.168.1.250 is a computer running MacOS X on my LAN. I tried with VMWare but I got the same answer from Win98. What exactly I have to install on those boxes? And what will appen if they change their IP or they are off while I type this command? Also, my mom's computer isn't always on so will I loss the ssh connection ? .. I know nothing :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

So far I installe all the ssh rpms.

1)openssh-3.4p1-4mdk

2)openssh-clients-3.4p1-4mdk

3)openssh-server-3.4p1-4mdk

It look like complicated to ssh .. boyyyyyyyyy

MOttS

SCP is only for SSH 1. With SSH 2 we can use SFTP which is exactly like FTP but secured with ssh. We don't even need to have an ftp server. Just start the ssh server (service sshd start) and you can connect to it from a remote machine via SSH (for admin stuff)or SFTP (for file transfer .. put and get command !!!). Some windows client handle that like CuteFTP.

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/secure/ss...sssh4.html#sftp

MOttS