newbie woes about internet connection sharing

ChrisM

Hey all

This is my first posting using MDK 9.2 after finally getting a decent connection, since dumping the Speedtouch 330 - I got myself an ethernet modem come router come firewall. T'riffic. Thats not to say that the connection was 'easy' and it took me a good couple hours to get there. However, I've now been at this next problem for a day now and I'm beat.

I need to connect another 2 Pcs (I've installed the 9.2 on them already) to the router (netgear DG834); they have ethernet cards in place. For hours I've been trying to share the connection on just one of them. First of all by going into MCC/DrakConnect to configure and then DrakGw to enable DCHP. I'm told that everything configures Ok and that I'm ready to share the connection,

but I can't get anything (I do notice though that the whenni DrakConnect, the lan setting drop from DCHP to static). The lights on the card are blinking away like a christmas tree, the connection is lit up on the router, but I can't get this second PC to connect. I've tried it with and without shorewall too. I also have the router set as a DHCP server.

It works great on one PC, but try as I have, I can't get anything up and running on th second.

Any ideas out there? Much appreciated.

Thanks streeter, I'll use your howto on my next attempt.

I have another question - everything appears to be working just fine - the lights on

the modem show an adsl connection and the appropriate connection to computers;

ethernet cards are lit up; and between them they are all blinking away.

Though I haven't established a connection that allows me to 'view' web pages, clearly there is activity. Until I am able to get a web page on line - could there be a security vulnerabilty - because I've not configured the connection, I'm unable to view/access the in built firewall (I disable the MDK firewall beforehand).

chris.

try to disable the mdk firewall first (can be done in mcc), then look at user permissions set by root. maybe your user-internet-access still needs to be defined in mcc. check all of your settings in the different sub-menus.