Can MDK do this ?

a13x

I'm part of a LAN that consists of 14 PCs. More people want to join our LAN (about 6) but due to the no. of computers the need of a Managed Switch arises. A good one is expensive, about 300$ and I cannot afford that, at least yet. Is there a way to use a MDK 10 box with 2 network cards and a normal unmanaged switch to do the job ?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Yes - the linux box can route and/or filter packets between 2 networks - you need to enable IP forwarding and allow forwarding between the 2 networks in the firewall. There are many instances of this kind of thing out there - I route between a wireless AP and satellite router on a hub and wired LAN on a switch for instance.

I personally have never used Linux as a bridge though, if it's MAC addresses you are wanting to filter by.

You may want to look at a dedicated router/bridging distro (they can fit on a floppy!) rather than Mandrake - depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Chris