Strange net access problem

Ed the N00B

Hi folks.

I have just bought one of these:

Origo ADSL Modem Router to replace my speedtouch adsl modem that was working but was a lot of hassle.

The problem is this.

When I boot up the machine and open a browser I get messages such as this:

neterror.jpg

for every site I try to connect to.

In trying to solve the problem I discovered that if I go into MCC / 'Manage Connections' and untick, then retick any checkbox (so that the 'Apply' button becomes available) and then Apply the settings, everything immediately works fine. :screwy: Even though the settings are exactly as they were.

I'm running MDK 10 OE, the router is connected to normal BT ADSL which once it does connect as above, works perfectly.

While the internet is unavailable, I am able to browse to the router's own config page via the LAN with no problem.

I have the 'Start at Boot' setting ticked but it looks very much like something somewhere is not starting up at boot.

I can't work out what it can be though as I can use the LAN and the router's config pages say that it is connected (still connected from prior to the latest reboot).

I have tried to delete the old ADSL connection which is replaced by a LAN connection but it keeps coming back. Could this be related?

Anyone have any ideas? Part of the point of getting the router was so that I didn't have to mess around connecting to my isp manually every time I booted up. At the moment it;s more hassle than ever!

Any help greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

hi. :)

- is your ethernetcard automatically started at boot? i hope so, but check this.

- does the same thing happen, when you disable the firewall?

- are the correct permissions set for the users in mcc? (internet-access managing)

check these. if this doesn't help, please take a look here: http://web.onetel.net.uk/~showerail/simple_net_setup.html

if everything fails, give us more info on your config-files.

good luck :thumbs:

Edited by arctic

Many thanks for your response Arctic. :)

You got me going along the right lines to effect a somewhat inelegant solution. :P

Your first three points were not causing the problem, but reading through the page you linked led me to do some searching on the 'MII_NOT_SUPPORTED' line of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

This led me to a thread from somone with a similar problem here.

None of the suggestions there helped me, so I went back to MCC and realised I could view the log of what it was doing when I hit the 'Apply' button.

The last entry in the log was:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

Which seemed to be restarting the network :P .

I added that same line to the end of my '/etc/rc.local' file and rebooted to find a perfectly working internet connection! :D

Clearly that is curing symptoms rather than the disease though.

I've a feeling that during boot, the eth0 interface comes up and then immediately, my old ADSL connection tries to start up (which never worked during boot, I always had to start it manually via a small shell script).

I think maybe this is scuppering the proper connection via eth0, which once it is again re-started via '/etc/rc.local', works properly. Could this be the case?

Can anyone tell me how I can stop the ADSL interface from trying to start up during the boot sequence?

I've tried removing the connection via MCC, but it keeps coming back.

Thanks again Arctic, my problem is solved.

The boot sequence taking slightly longer while it waits for ADSL to fail is a minor problem! :thumbs:

Ed.