Intermittent "pppd daemon died unexpectedly" error

Guest jostby

Guest jostby

Regular phone line, Mandrake 10.0, two different computers, both systems work okay with Windows. -- The only common link is Linux and the phone company server.

Problem: After I boot up, the first time kppp dials in, I get "pppd daemon died unexpectedly -- Exit status: 16." Then, upon re-dialing, it handshakes fine.

I'm kind of new to Linux, but it seems to me that the first dial-in sets either some configuration file or path.

JAO

Edited by jostby

I get the same thing, it also happens to me in windows. Since I live in the country I just figured it was either the construction crew down the road or crappy phone lines. In windows, if it fails to connect, I have to reboot the try again, since I get a device in use error.

Guest jostby

Thanks, but when I get the "pppd daemon died . . ." error message on the screen, the debugger quits too. (I had tried that some weeks ago.) The last line is always "CONNECT . . . ." whether it connects or not.

JAO

Guest jostby

Unchecking "lock" didn't work.

I have also tried different pppd options, to no avail.

Compared to other problems I've had, this is more of an irritation than anything else.

Guest jostby

Thanks for the tip, but that didn't work for me.

I don't know much about Linux, but--considering that I have the same problem on two different computers, and the dial-up never works the first time after booting--the first dial-up is configuring something on my computers.