CDROM doesn't work

Guest deepak

I'm using a mdk 8.2 box running on a celeron 333, it seems that my CDROM (LG CRD-8400C) works only during the installation, later when i try to access the CDROM by clicking it's short-cut on my KDE desktop, my system mysteriously hangs up, the only way out is a reboot,

Is there anybody out there who can help with this problem?

Thanx

I disabled supermount like you said and rebooted, then i treid to access the cd from the Konsole by manually mounting it, still the same effect, my box won't budge, has it got anything to do with my particular CDROM or is this a problem with my kernel,

i also tried setting the filesystem to 'auto' from the Mandrake Control Center but still it doesn't work, does anybody Know what the problem is?

Do you have a disk in the cdrom? It will only mount if something is in it to read. mounting accualy 'mounts' the disc's file system. It realy doesn't turn on or mount the drive.

Is it on the same IDE controler as the hard drive or another cdrom? Sometimes linux doesn't like it if they are on the same cable.

And I ran across this on before. Are the pins on the back of the cdrom set correctly?

Try this:

Remove the icon that is created by default by the system.

Then right click in KDE on the desktop and create a new icon for the CD-ROM drive. Point the device at the place where the CD-ROM is assigned to the system (i.e.: hdc, hdd, etc.). make sure you have it listed as a read-only (if it's not a CD-RW).

I have found the default icons suck,...

To make sure that you have properly disabled supermount (supergoof) go into the Mandrake Control Center -> mount points-> cdrom -> options. Be sure that noauto and user are ticked. I had this same problem when I first installed Mandrake 9. The user option was not captured by disablng supermount.

Then when I made my desktop icons (I am lazy) everything worked great!

• 1 month later...

i've got a similar problem with my LG Cd-RW drive. It just doesn't work! Its in the hardware list and its supermounted.

Ive tried disabling supermount and changing it to user, but it just fails completely.

I have another cd drive on the same ide ribbon, maybe thats the problem. I'll try disconnecting it and i'll try it then.

fstab:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c2 vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

From the look of it, supermount is not disabled. Here is mine:

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdb5 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb6 /var ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb7 swap swap defaults 0 0

with supermount enabled.

and with supermount disabled:

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdb5 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb6 /var ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb7 swap swap defaults 0 0

I have never looked at the results of disabling supermount before now and I will reneable it when I install the new kernel from a Mandrake update mirror. Why those none devices disappear is a mystery to me. Could it be that dammed Removable devices icon? I haven't edited the necessary file to take it out using the DOlson tutorial since I have both it and separate icons for each device. To find the tutorial should you wish to use it look here: http://icculus.org/~dolson/mdkxp/?c=ttrls/...ovablemediaicon .

For the new kernel look for it in an update mirror. I use: http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distribut...dates/9.0/RPMS/ . They leave it out of your updates list to prevent you from hosing your system. It is described here: http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisorie...=MDKSA-2003:014 and the instructions for installing it are here: http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/kernelupdate.php .

Counterspy