Via VT6102 connection problem

Guest nightshrill

Guest nightshrill

:help:

I am brand new to linux, and this is my first linux os. I just installed mandrakelinux 10.0 downloaded version (considering buying it), I am totally lost as far as my internet goes. On windows xp sp1 my internet is fine and windows takes care of it with pnp tech. With linux it is not working at all. I am connected on a DI-604 router, have a Via VT6102 (Rhine II 10/100) lan port built-in to my motherboard (Biostar M7VIT Pro) and I keep trying to configure the internet but linux won't connect with it. I'm not computer stupid or anything but I set up a new lan connection, made sure the ip and everything was assigned by the DCHP server and thought it would work... :wall: how very wrong I am. I do not understand why it is not working and under manage my connection says it is disabled. I am thinking of buying mandrake 10.0 discover pack but will not if my internet isn't going to work. From what I have used to linux I love it and don't want to go back to windows but with no internet I will have to go back to windows. Please help me with this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi. :)

i suggest you take a look here http://web.onetel.net.uk/~showerail/simple_net_setup.html

maybe that helps. if not, post some furter information here. e.g. the output of typing "ifconfig eth0" in the konsole.

under manage my connection says it is disabled.

have you enabled it already? does it work then or not? do you have a firewall enabled? if yes, disable it for testing purposes.

Guest nightshrill

ok I was totally lost in the ifconfig eth0 comman because it wouldn't run, said it was a bad bash command. But I did install suse 8.1 pro and the internet worked. Well suse is ok and all...but I really like mandrake alot better. Did I screw myself by taking mandrake out? :oops: ...or does this point to something specifically in mandrake?

It merely means that the SuSE configuration file works with your particular ethernet card, and the Mandrake config needs some adjustments. The problem is your ethernet card. Once that is configured correctly, you will have networking, including the internet. SuSE loads the correct driver; Mandrake needs to be told which driver. With the proper driver, the ethernet card will be "enabled".